Deauthorizing ArcGIS Server 10

07-04-2010 10:40 PM
OttarViken_Valvåg
New Contributor III
How do I deauthorize ArcGIS Server 10, so that I can do a fresh reinstall using the same license? For desktop there's a "Deauthorize" button for this in the ArcGIS Administrator and in the License Manager, which starts the SoftwareAuthorization.exe file with the -return <license code> parameter. I'm guessing (hoping) there's a similar option for Server?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
VipulBhatia
New Contributor
When you authorize ArcGIS Server or ecp based file, they get updated in a keycodes file( with no extension) located @
c:\program files\esri\license\keycodes

You may remove this keycodes file from system after uninstalling arcgis server. This file after changing the extension to .txt can be read in notepad.
0 Kudos
OttarViken_Valvåg
New Contributor III
Very well, but will I be able to use the same authorization number when reinstalling? Deleting the keycodes file does not notify the authorization server in Redlands that the authorization number is no longer in use, does it?
0 Kudos
VipulBhatia
New Contributor
You can keep a copy of .ecp file , which can be used again for authorization. Otherwise also you should be able to use whichever process you are currently following to authorize again.
0 Kudos
OttarViken_Valvåg
New Contributor III
I don't understand. Is there an .ecp file involved when authorizing server 10.0? I authorize using the internet, and no files are exchanged that I can see, at least. Where can I find the .ecp file?

I would think that if the authorization server in redlands issues a file to me, this file will be bound to the computer from which I authorized, so it would be no use to me when reinstalling on a separate computer?
0 Kudos
deleted-user-NYWn2mVq36WV
New Contributor
I have this same problem. 

I uninstall ArcGIS Server 10, but the ECP registration number on my ESRI Customer Care site still says "activated" for this ECP.  When I reinstall ArcGIS Server 10, or run the ArcGIS Server 10 post install, and try to register via the internet this ECP is still "activated" and thus the registration/activation fails. 

Can someone at ESRI please explain this system?  Must we call ESRI to unactivate the ECP everytime we need to reinstall or run the ArcGIS Server Post-Install?   If so, thats not an improved licensing system but a step backwards!
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
I'm a little unclear on what to do when repairing.

Do you authorize again or not?

I seem to have used up my counters (you look like you can only reauthorize about 2-3 times) trying to repair single server after issues.

Stopped authorizing and it appears my image server extension stopped working.

I thought mac addresses were going to be used for 10.   Why can't you authorize unlimited times for same machine?

You also can't modify a provision file can you?
0 Kudos
BadrinarayanaLakkur
New Contributor
I don't understand. Is there an .ecp file involved when authorizing server 10.0? I authorize using the internet, and no files are exchanged that I can see, at least. Where can I find the .ecp file?

I would think that if the authorization server in redlands issues a file to me, this file will be bound to the computer from which I authorized, so it would be no use to me when reinstalling on a separate computer?

You can find the ecp file here: c:\program files\esri\license10.0\sysgen\keycodes.  This keycodes file can be opened in notepad and saved as a .ecp extension as a backup and can be used to reauthorize ArcGIS Server on the same machine.  If you need to authorize ArcGIS Server on a different machine, you will need to authorize it against ESRI Customer Service the same way your first machine was initially authorized.
0 Kudos
BadrinarayanaLakkur
New Contributor
I have this same problem. 

I uninstall ArcGIS Server 10, but the ECP registration number on my ESRI Customer Care site still says "activated" for this ECP.  When I reinstall ArcGIS Server 10, or run the ArcGIS Server 10 post install, and try to register via the internet this ECP is still "activated" and thus the registration/activation fails. 

Can someone at ESRI please explain this system?  Must we call ESRI to unactivate the ECP everytime we need to reinstall or run the ArcGIS Server Post-Install?   If so, thats not an improved licensing system but a step backwards!

ArcGIS Server licenses cannot be deauthorized (deactivated).  But you can authorize ArcGIS Server on multiple machines using the ECP information provided in the email sent by Customer Service.  Could you email me the error message you're getting when trying to authorize it a second time: blakkur@esri.com
0 Kudos
BadrinarayanaLakkur
New Contributor
I'm a little unclear on what to do when repairing.

Do you authorize again or not?

I seem to have used up my counters (you look like you can only reauthorize about 2-3 times) trying to repair single server after issues.

Stopped authorizing and it appears my image server extension stopped working.

I thought mac addresses were going to be used for 10.   Why can't you authorize unlimited times for same machine?

You also can't modify a provision file can you?

For ArcGIS Server and Server related products, they can be authorized multiple times on the same machine, but if you are going to reauthorize on the same machine, save the keycodes file from C:\Program files\esri\license10.0\sysgen as a .ecp file in a backup location.  This file can be used to reauthorize Server based products.  If you are having trouble reauthorizing via ESRI Customer Service please email me a screenshot of the error message and the ECP number you are using:blakkur@esri.com
0 Kudos