ablakey

Python script works in Catalog but fails as a GPService in Flex

Discussion created by ablakey on Oct 19, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 by ablakey
Hello:

I've got a script that works consistently in Catalog/Desktop  but it fails unexpectedly once published as Geoprocessing Service.  It's driving me nuts and I hope I'm missing something obvious.

Also: What are good ways to troubleshoot it? Is there a way I can force Server to keep the resulting data so I can look at it? Can I get Flex to output messages at my will from the script?  Ie. the way I can arcpy.addMessage("var X broke!")

The code below breaks at the last line I have provided with the error:

"C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\rq10.GPServer\extracted\v101\published_data\rq.py", line 120, in <module>
    boxWidth = boxXMax-boxXMin
NameError: name 'boxXMax' is not defined

Failed to execute (rq).


I assume the error is because boxXMax is never being made, which I assume because row3 is null because there are no entries for the SearchCursor.  But why is that data coming back empty?   How could I test or investigate this?

# Esri start of added imports
import sys, os, arcpy
# Esri end of added imports

# Esri start of added variables
g_ESRI_variable_1 = u'%scratchGDB%\\inputPoint'
g_ESRI_variable_2 = u'%scratchGDB%\\waterbodyPoly'
g_ESRI_variable_3 = u'%scratchGDB%\\waterbodyBuffer'
g_ESRI_variable_4 = u'%scratchGDB%\\waterbodyBound'
g_ESRI_variable_5 = u'angle'
g_ESRI_variable_6 = u'%scratchGDB%\\waterbodyBuffLine'
g_ESRI_variable_7 = os.path.join(arcpy.env.packageWorkspace,u'scratch.gdb\\pathLines')
g_ESRI_variable_8 = u'%scratchGDB%\\intersectPoints'
g_ESRI_variable_9 = u'%scratchGDB%\\intersectSinglePts'
g_ESRI_variable_10 = u'%scratchGDB%\\waypoints'
# Esri end of added variables

#Imports
import arcpy
from arcpy import env
from math import radians, tan, cos

env.overwriteOutput = True

env.workspace = arcpy.env.packageWorkspace
env.scratchWorkspace = "c:\published_data\scratch.gdb"


### INPUTS / OUTPUTS ###
wBody = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)
inPoint = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)
transSpacing = float(arcpy.GetParameterAsText(2))
shorelineBuffer = float(arcpy.GetParameterAsText(3))  
outTransect = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(4)
rotation_method = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(5)

#Project Data
sr = arcpy.SpatialReference()
sr.factoryCode = 32617
sr.create()

#wbpoly waterbodypoly
#inpoint inputpoint
inputPoint = arcpy.Project_management(inPoint,g_ESRI_variable_1,sr)
waterbodyPoly = arcpy.Project_management(wBody,g_ESRI_variable_2,sr)


### VARIABLES ###
kfPerimeter = shorelineBuffer - (transSpacing / 2)
sRef = arcpy.Describe(waterbodyPoly).spatialReference

# Get start point from geometry
startPoint = arcpy.Point()
descInPoint = arcpy.Describe(inputPoint)
sfName = descInPoint.ShapeFieldName

rows = arcpy.SearchCursor(inputPoint)
for row in rows:
    feat = row.getValue(sfName)
    pnt = feat.getPart()
    startPoint.X = pnt.X
    startPoint.Y = pnt.Y
    startPoint.ID = 0

# New empty polyline FC.
arcpy.CreateFeatureclass_management(env.scratchGDB,"pathLines", "POLYLINE", spatial_reference = sRef)

# Buffer Waterbody
arcpy.Buffer_analysis(waterbodyPoly,g_ESRI_variable_3,0.0 - shorelineBuffer)

# Get Bounding Box
arcpy.MinimumBoundingGeometry_management(g_ESRI_variable_3,g_ESRI_variable_4,"RECTANGLE_BY_WIDTH")

# Add "angle" Field
arcpy.AddField_management(g_ESRI_variable_4,"angle","DOUBLE")

# Calculate Angle

arcpy.CalculatePolygonMainAngle_cartography(g_ESRI_variable_4, g_ESRI_variable_5, rotation_method)

# Get Angle as var
sCur = arcpy.SearchCursor(g_ESRI_variable_4)
for row2 in sCur:
    angle = row2.angle

# Waterbody to polyline
arcpy.PolygonToLine_management(g_ESRI_variable_3, g_ESRI_variable_6)

# Build Transect Lines based on primary angles

# Get bounding box extents
bBoxCur = arcpy.SearchCursor(g_ESRI_variable_4)
for row3 in bBoxCur:
    geom = row3.shape
    ext = geom.extent  
    boxXMin = ext.XMin
    boxXMax = ext.XMax
    boxYMin = ext.YMin
    boxYMax = ext.YMax

boxWidth = boxXMax-boxXMin

Outcomes