Using Different Windows Server Versions in 1 Site

09-26-2013 05:20 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
To All ArcGIS Server (AGS) Administrators:

Although not currently an issue, it will surely arise in the future as my organization scales up our enterprise AGS environment.  Has anyone tried to add say 1 Windows 2008 server and 1 Windows 2012 server to the same AGS site?  Since resources are tight, I could see in the future where my organization would want to add a Windows 2012 server to our AGS site that already is composed of Windows 2008 servers.

If there are any issues putting Windows Servers of different versions into the same site, would placing them in different clusters resolve any potential issues?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Michael,

To my knowledge, you should be able to use machines with different Windows OS's within the same multi-machine ArcGIS Server site.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Derek:

Has this scenario been tested by ESRI?
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Michael,

Has this scenario been tested by ESRI?

Yes, this has been tested with various different Windows OSs. And there were no known issues as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure if we specifically tested Windows 2012 though.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Has anyone outside of ESRI added a new Windows Server 2012 server to an ArcGIS Server site that already had at least 2 Windows Server 2008 servers with ArcGIS Server installed on them?  This is a scenario that my organization will soon be encountering and I was wondering if there are an issues I need to be concerned with in order for this setup to work properly.
0 Kudos