can't sign in to arcgis online through ArcMap file menu

06-30-2010 12:41 PM
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
When I try to sign in to ArcGIS Online through the ArcMap File menu (version 10.0 final), I get a Sign On Failure message that says "Unable to connect to ArcGIS Online." I can connect through my web browser with no problem.

Tim
Tags (2)
37 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
We are looking into this issue. It appears to be specific to one machine. If anyone else is having similar problems and had a previous beta version of ArcGIS 10 installed on their system, the first thing to try is to go to another machine if possible, and see if you can sign on on that machine. If so, then it's the particular machine that is the problem. If you have previously installed ArcGIS Desktop beta versions and modified any registry settings, you'll need to clean those up.

Open the registry and delete this folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Online

THanks,

Mike
BryanAgosti
New Contributor
I have the same problem, although ArcMap just crashes as soon as i click the sign on button.  Also i never had a beta version of 10 installed. I have saved as a layer file an arcgis online data set i got through the website and it will show up in my mxd only when it feels like it, sometimes its there others times i get the lovely red exclamation points and trying to reset the data source will not fix it.
0 Kudos
MichaelHudon
New Contributor
>When I try to sign in to ArcGIS Online through the ArcMap File menu (version 10.0 final), I get a Sign On >Failure message that says "Unable to connect to ArcGIS Online." I can connect through my web browser >with no problem.

Me too same thing ArcGis 10 final, just upgraded. Bumps me out at the password screen.
Password works fine in browser. Thanks.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
These issues are difficult to troubleshoot through the forums. There are many variables that come into play. Probably your best option is to contact ESRI Technical Support.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NessaSimps
New Contributor
has anyone had any resolution with this issue?

where you getting the same message,

"Error signing on to ArcGIS Online
Details : Invalid username or passwork"

I know my username and password works since this is how I am signed in right now.

thanks in advance,

Vanessa
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Vanessa,

Did you explicitly register your global ID with ArcGIS Online? You need to do this first.  The reason you have to register is because when you do, you get a workspace with up to 2 GB of free storage where you can add GIS items. We don't allocate this space until you register.

To register, do this:

1. From the ArcGIS.com website, click the Sign In link on the upper right.

2. Click the Register your Esri Global Account link underneath Not a Member?

3. Enter your Esri Global account user name and password and click Register.

4. Read the terms of use and click the I Accept button to agree to the terms.

5. Once you accept the terms of use, you are automatically signed in to ArcGIS.com.

Now, you should be able to sign in from ArcGIS Desktop.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
VanessaS
New Contributor
Mike,
Thank you so much for this help. I missed this step.

Have a good week-
0 Kudos
KellyBrown3
New Contributor
I have the same problem, have had no previous versions, just loaded ArcGIS Desk10 and have registered my global account.

Upon running the network connection test, the Network Latency test failed, however all other online functions work fine, and I can login to arcgis with global account info in any browser/mobile.

Thank you,

Kelly
Austin
0 Kudos
KellyBrown3
New Contributor
Fixed problem by logging into Arcgis first through Internet Explorer instead of Chrome.

Kelly
0 Kudos