Composite Locators and data sources

09-20-2013 04:01 AM
JanicePeal
Occasional Contributor
Can you build a composite locator using other locators that read from different databases?  For example, I have one locator (US - Single Address) who's source database is DB1.  I have another locator (US - Dual Ranges) who's source data reads from DB2.  Individually, these locators run fine, but when I attempt to create a composite locator, I receive an error "there was an error trying to process this table".  Also, the two locators (as well as the composite locator) are all in the same location in a server folder (not in either DB1 or DB2).  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Have you built composite locators before?  I ask before maybe you set something up wrong in the composite locator and that is the issue.

Maybe you can copy the data from one database to the other database so all the data is originating from the same database.  Then see if the composite locator works.

If you can get the composite locator to work from one database, then I would call ESRI to see if your original scenario of data from 2 databases is a bug.
0 Kudos
JanicePeal
Occasional Contributor
I have built this composite locator many times before.  The only thing that has changed is the location of the source data for address points.  I know it's not a permissions issue because the same level of permissions is granted from the old db to the new db with the connection I am using.  Besides moving the source data from one database to another, I upgraded to 10.2  I haven't built a composite locator successfully yet in 10.2.   I have ESRI looking into this now.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Janice:

What version of ArcGIS are you currently able to build composite address locators in?

I am currently in ArcGIS v10.0 where I have composite address locators (one source though).

I believe I have been able to build composite address locators in ArcGIS v10.1.

I still need to test in ArcGIS v10.2 as that is the version my organization is moving to.

Please let me know how it goes with ESRI.

Additional Information:

I tried to create a custom Address Locator from a .lot file that my organization created back in v9.3 which still works in v10.0.  If I used the SDE connection from a previous process that had the focus in ArcCatalog, I received an error message saying that the address locator could not be created from 2 different geodatabases.  But if I re-initialized the SDE connection in ArcCatalog I was able to successively build the address locator from a feature class and table originating in the same SDE database.  It seems that ArcGIS cannot build an address locator from two different geodatabases based on my testing.  My testing also displays an issue with SDE connections in ArcGIS v10.2.
0 Kudos
JanicePeal
Occasional Contributor
mvolz47:

This issue is still under review with ESRI.  I think I have them stumped!  I am going to move data for the streets locator into the same database as the address data and attempt to rebuild the composite locator with your suggestion.  Thing is, I can build the locator (or so ESRI software indicates I can), I just can't use it.  I certainly hope that dual databases aren't an issue because this would significantly impact my workflow!  Thanks for the feedback!
0 Kudos