ArcGIS 10.1, Python crash on "import arcpy" after installing scipy-stack.

08-23-2013 03:20 PM
TomRutherford
New Contributor
I'm having a frustrating time trying to use scipy with arcpy in my arcgis project.

I'm able to successfully install the scipy-stack (Scipy-stack-13.8.17.win32-py2.7) binary from here, but once It's installed, python crashes ("python.exe has stopped working") as soon as I run import arcpy.

However, if I import scipy prior to importing arcpy, arcpy is imported successfully. In other words, this works:
import scipy
import arcpy

but this doesn't:
#import scipy
import arcpy #"python.exe has stopped working" here

It looks to me like the actual crash occurs on line 269 of "ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py," when something called "Data Reviewer Tools.tbx" is being imported (from "ArcGIS\ArcGISDataReviewer\Desktop10.1\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\Data Reviewer Tools.tbx").

Does anyone know why this is happening?

TIA,

Tom.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
TomRutherford
New Contributor
Hi lpinner.

I was actually already running numpy 1.6.1, but downgrading to scipy 0.10.1 seems to have solved the issue. Thanks for the link.

Out of curiosity, how did you know about the 0.10.1 requirement? I wasn't able to find a version requirement when I looked.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
TomRutherford
New Contributor
Seems I spoke a little too soon. With scipy 0.10.1, I encountered
ValueError: numpy.dtype has the wrong size, try recompiling

when I tried to import stats from scipy.

With scipy 0.11.0 installed however, things are working. So, it looks to me like the correct versions are:
scipy.__version__
'0.11.0'
numpy.__version__
'1.6.1'
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
Out of curiosity, how did you know about the 0.10.1 requirement? I wasn't able to find a version requirement when I looked.
Googlefoo 😉
0 Kudos