AGS Feature Service not rendering Rotation Angles of Points

08-23-2013 11:08 AM
KeithFraley1
New Contributor II
Hello, I have a question.  I am publishing a map service with feature access enabled.

When I view as a map service the rotation set in the MXD is honored.  However, when I view the exact same service as a feature service the rotation of the point symbols are not honored.  What am I doing wrong?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Keith,

Nothing wrong on your side. When you add your service to the map as a Feature Service, a Feature Layer is used to display the data. Feature Layers use client-side graphics to display your features as opposed to requesting an image from the Server.  Currently, the ArcGIS API Feature Layer implementation does not honor the rotation set for the symbols as set in the original map documents authored in ArcGIS for Desktop.  This is something that we are looking at to potentially support in future releases.

There are some workarounds that may work. For example, if you enabled Feature Access because you wanted to do edits on your data you could:
-In ArcGIS.com viewer (or equivalent viewer in Portal for ArcGIS): Add first your data using the map service. This will add the map service honoring the rotation of your features. Then add the layers you want to edit from your Feature Service. This will add these layers as feature layers to the map. The ArcGIS.com Viewer will actually not use the Feature Layer to 'show' any data (as it will be already rendered through your map service), but will be used to enable your editing tools.  With this, you get the rendering of a map service, plus the editing capabilities of your feature service.
-In ArcGIS Viewer for Flex: Add your map service to the viewer, and then add the Edit widget. It will automatically use your map service to render, and your feature service to edit. The rotation of your symbols will be honored as well.
-If you are a developer, have a look at the documentation for Selection-Only Feature Layers as in here: https://developers.arcgis.com/en/javascript/jssamples/ed_selectionmode.html

Hope this helps,

Ismael Chivite
0 Kudos