Change default basemap

08-14-2013 01:45 PM
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Has any one else experienced a problem when trying to set their own default basemap with portal for arcgis 10.2. I have placed my basemaps from my own arcgis server in a group, under the site admin, map section I have set the base map gallery to my group but I never get a list of base maps in the default base map drop down (it only ever shows default).

If I then go in to new map there is nothing in the basemap gallery.

Is this a known bug and if so is there a work around.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Anthony,

There aren't any known issues with configuring a custom basemap gallery. Are the maps in the group shared with everyone, in addition to being shared with the group?

Here's some doc that details the steps to create and configure a custom basemap gallery:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/#/Customizing_basemaps/017s00000071000000/

Thanks -

Chris
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Cheers Chris,

I must read the help a little more closely the problem I was having was I was trying to create base maps straight from my arcgis services, base maps need to be created from web maps as stated in the documentation:

'Basemaps need to be single-layer web maps created with the map viewer'

Regards

Anthony

P.S. I would mark the question as answered but the arrows and check boxes are missing, viewing on IPad
0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor
Great, good to hear!
0 Kudos
TonyGegner
New Contributor III
I have a problem getting the the "Default Basemap" setting to work in the viewer.

Under settings.
In the "Basemap Gallery" everything looks fine (except the thumbnails). Have 3 of my own maps there.
I can also choose one of the maps to be a Default Basemap.

But when i open the Viewer it still tries to connect to AGOL basemap as default.
The Basemaps Tab in the Viewer shows my other 3 maps.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos