using slope, distance and elevation to calculate point of impact on varying terrain

08-14-2013 06:16 AM
GregEdmonds
New Contributor
I would like to know if there is an existing Arc tool and/or method to calculate the following:

I have a fixed point at the base of a mountain. The ground at my fixed point is not flat, though, there is a slight percent slope for the first 400m, and the slope increases more and more at higher elevations. I need to determine where a straight line drawn from my fixed point 10 degrees upward towards the mountain would intersect the mountain (elevation at intersect). I am pretty sure that I need to incorporate my starting percent slope, as well as the varying percent slopes as elevation increases.

I have been working with rise over run and SOHCAHTOA examples, but the change in slope over distance is what is throwing me.

any assistance would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
3D Analyst Profile tool will allow you to extract the necessary information for further analysis.  The SA doesn't have such tools.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
I could see a Spatial Anlayst solution using a line FC drawn from the point to the (?) summit and a eclidean distance raster eminating from the point.

You would basically build a crosssection of elevations along the line (x axis = elev, y axis = distance along the line from the point).

The questions then is at what distance along the line does the elevation of the mountain become greater than the elevation of a 10 degree vertical slope along the same line.

Nothing out box for this as far as I know, but certainly doable... 1st step would be to build a cross section.
0 Kudos