AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assigning Address Ranges from nearby Address Points

Question asked by langdonms on Aug 5, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 24, 2013 by rfairhur24
Hello,

I am a GIS Tech at a city gov. with our own 911 dispatch.  I am working to update our street centerline ranges for use in our dispatch software.  The geography is accurate; however, the address ranges are model types and do not fit reality, i.e. range 1-100, when there are only 4 houses on the block from 101 - 116.  I would like to use dynamic segmentation to help fix these ranges.

I came across this white paper by Kelly Bigley (2003) http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc03/p1077.pdf
Which has a process I would like to replicate: 

Of course it is possible that an address point may be closer to a road that it is not addressed off of. An ArcINFO
AML script can be used to loop through each street name. For each name it creates a subset of the streets and
address points with that street name. It performs a NEAR command on those subset coverages and transfers the
unique street coverage COVER-ID to the address points. Then it appends the resulting point coverages into one.
The resulting coverage is basically the original address coverage with a few additional attributes, including the
COVER-ID of the street centerline and the X and Y coordinate along the closest arc.
- Kelly Bigley

I'm new to python and eager to learn so I am asking to be pointed in the right direction to write a similar script - comparing address point street names to centerline street names before performing the NEAR analysis.  Thank you.

Once the NEAR is complete for Address --> Roads, I want to dynamically segment the roads based on those address points, with each segment having an address range determined by the address points along it.

Langdon

Outcomes