Failed to cache extent. Index was either too large or too small

07-31-2013 10:33 PM
SteffenSchwarz1
New Contributor
Hello,
i have a problem when caching an image service. i have a large mosaic dataset which contains other mosaic datasets. i published the large mosaic dataset as an image service and selected the option "build cache manually after publishing" in the caching options.

after publishing the service (without any errors) i build the cache with the tool "Manage map servcer cache tiles"). As an area of interest i selected a feature class polygon which surrounds my mosaic dataset.

at the beginning everything works fine. but after un uncertain time period i get first errors with following message:

"Failed to cache extent. [coordinates...] at scale ... Error 001454: Failed to clean up cache state. The index was either too large or too small."

This error occurs more than once, always with other coordinates which represent the bounding box i guess.

The caching tool doesn't stop his work and continues building the cache but with this errors the generated cache isn't really reliable.

I did some research in the internet about this but didn't find somethin useful.

Has someone an idea how to fix this problem?

thanks in advance.

regards
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SzuPingHuang
New Contributor
Hi,
I got the same issue too. But some tiles are cached in the extent in the error message, some aren't.
How do we do to prevent the same thing happen?
Does anyone have the suggestions?

Best,
0 Kudos
SteffenSchwarz1
New Contributor
Unfortunately, i didn't found a solution for this error message or how to prevent it, but i use the following workaround to make my cache a bit more reliable.

first of all i check the given bounding box in the error message to control, if the cache exists or not, by viewing the published and cached service in a small javascript app. important: don't take a look of the service in arcmap. in most cases the cache was build.

next step is to update status.gdb --> manage map server cache status

next step is to copy your status.gdb to a new directory and open it in arcmap. now you can take a more detailed look in your status.gdb and you can control, which tiles (or bundles) have an error and are not succeeded. afterwards you can rerun the cache tool by defining an area of interest which contains the error-bundles.

that's how i cope with this error message or if i get other errors during cache. unfortunately, you can't be sure that your cache was build successfully when you get errors like this one. therefore i would appreciate it, if someone has a solution (or maybe an other workaround) based on this error.

regards
0 Kudos