Add Field - Shape File

07-25-2013 07:59 AM
BrianRigwald
New Contributor
Hello,

I am exploring the possibility of using ArcGIS Online (Free Public Account and Explorer) with my new Global Studies students.  (So far, the Free Public Account appears to be more user friendly and stable.)  I found a nice shapefile that shows all the countries of the world.  I would like to add some fields so that students could add data and manipulate the map.  I want to create blank fields for students to enter data (Govt, GDPperC, Generic1, Generic2).  I have tried taking the dbf file out of the zip and editing it in Access, but when I put it back in the zip, ArcGIS Online couldn't load it.  Is there a way to add the 4 fields (ideally at the beginning, so they don't get lost in the plethora of data fields in the shapefile)?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I believe ArcGIS for Desktop can do it, if you have it. Since the shapefile format is open, there may be other 3rd party tools that can do it. Maybe a search on the web will yield one. There's nothing in arcgis.com, however.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianRigwald
New Contributor
Thanks.  I ended up installing free Quantum GIS and it allowed me to setup what I needed. 🙂

I believe ArcGIS for Desktop can do it, if you have it. Since the shapefile format is open, there may be other 3rd party tools that can do it. Maybe a search on the web will yield one. There's nothing in arcgis.com, however.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos