Can't use Extract Landscape Source Data tool ?

07-19-2013 08:22 AM
JerrySullivan
New Contributor
I am participating in an AGOL for Orgz evaluation. I can't seem to gain access to th Extract Landscape Source Data tool; I am always prompted to login to ESRI Data & Maps, and then told I'm not a member. What Gives ?

Also, tho Admin, I am unable to add ANY groups outside my organization (esri_landscape, esri_elevation) to the short list of Groups -- why ?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor
Hi-- I'll start with the second (easier issue) first.  The ability for particularly organization admins to make groups from other organizations, or other users available within, i.e., to all users of their organizations has already been submitted to the ArcGIS Online team and I confirmed this is something they are working on, but no time frame was available.  I did search on ideas.esri.com and did not find this for the ArcGIS Online product.

For using the Extract Landscape Source Data tool, I'll give you a few ideas to try, but given the number of variables that potentially affect this tool, you may need to use technical support to get help in a timely way.

1. Are you using ArcGIS Desktop version 10.1, SP1?  That is the minimum version for working with Landscape Layers.

2. The tool must be used based on a GIS Server connection that you make in ArcCatalog (the instructions are in the content item).

3. Are you being prompted while making that connection?  If so, try signing in first from the File menu. 

4. You should be making a User, and not an Admin connection (Admin connections cannot be made to servers that have security implemented like we do for the landscape layers.

0 Kudos
JerrySullivan
New Contributor
Tnx Charlie,

Glad the "add outside groups issue" is being addressed.

1) Yes, 10.1, SP1

2) Done

3) Worked both from File, and giving credentials after adding the link.

4) Also worked smoothly with an AGOL Orgz Admin account -- ??

So, it appears to be a "Reselect pass through". Nice.
0 Kudos
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor
Yikes--we do have at least two meanings for "admin" in the situations you're asking about. 

First, and the one I was referring to with respect to the groups question is your ArcGIS Online account in your organization is assigned to have the administrator role. 

Second, is when creating the ArcGIS Server Admin connection in ArcCatalog, the credentials that are provided are for the server administrator (a user role defined on the server).  However, when creating a User connection, the credentials are for an ArcGIS online account, where we are internally checking to see if it is an account in an organization, a public account, or if no credentials are supplied, it is considered anonymous access.
0 Kudos