Label Does Not Display in Map Service

Jump to solution
07-16-2013 10:20 PM
Silvesterkim
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I hope someone out there had a similar experience as me, and found a solution.

I have a MXD setup to be published as a map service.
In the MXD, there are two polygons both saved in SDE, and labelled as follows.

Polygon 1:
It is joined to a non-spatial table saved in SQL DB. The polygon is then labelled based on one of the fields from the joined table.

Polygon 2:
It is a feature class without any join. The polygon is labelled based on one of the fields in the feature class.

For both layers, they have no problem labelling within ArcMap session (AG10.1).

However, when they are published as a map service, the label from the Polygon 1 disappears, but only Polygon 2 label shows.

So far I have checked:
- Mapplex label engine --> Not used
- Registration of data source in the AG Server 10.1 --> checked
- REST end point --> I used query to return the value that I want to label, and it correctly returns the value.
- I unjoined the table in Polygon 1 and label based on one of the fields in the feature class --> Label works.

As a result, I think the table join is causing a problem in labelling.

If anyone knows any workaround or found setup that I have missed, please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Silvester.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
You may be running into a bug.

NIM087311: "Map labels do not work in a map service if the feature class resides in an ArcSDE database and is joined to a table."

This bug is listed as resolved in version 10.2.

Documented workaround: Publish a map service using ArcMap 10.1 with no service pack to ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

NIM087311: "Map labels do not work in a map service if the feature class resides in an ArcSDE database and is joined to a table."

Documented workaround: Publish a map service using ArcMap 10.1 with no service pack to ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1.
0 Kudos
Silvesterkim
New Contributor II

Thanks for the answer.
I have ended up saving the polygon feature in a FGDB and then the labelling works fine. This workaround works fine for my case, because only the polygon is static, but the SDE table is dynamic.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
0 Kudos
chaddean
New Contributor
Thank you for this.  This solved the issues I was experiencing.  This worked even though AGS remains 10.1 sp1 and Desktop is v. 10.2
0 Kudos