map service layer does not display

07-16-2013 10:36 AM
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor
I'm publishing a map to a service from ArcMap 10.1. The only error/warning I get from the publishing wizard is that all layers are drawing at all scale. The published map service looks fine except there is one layer that does not render. The data source is a file geodatabase line feature class. The symbology is unique value. I tried changing to simple symbology, but that made no difference. This layer does have a relate to table in the same file geodatabase. I've spent some time perusing logs but haven't found anything that seems to be related.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Where can I find the actual data that is uploaded to the server to verify everything is being copied?

TIA,
Alan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
Where can I find the actual data that is uploaded to the server to verify everything is being copied?

[In Desktop 10.1 & above]
Right-click on a service in the Catalog Window >> Select "Service Workspace..." >> once the window is opened, click on the root on the tree list.
0 Kudos
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor
Yep, the data is there. Actually, I'm publishing from the same box that Server is running on, so the data is not actually copied anywhere. It's in the same location where ArcMap is getting from and the directory is registered as a data store. There are other file  GDBs in the same path hosting data that the service is displaying. The layer that does not render does display in the legend.

How do I proceed from here?

TIA,
Alan
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
try this:

• right-click on the service in ArcMap's Catalog window

• click on Service Properties...

• once the Service Editor is opened, click on "Parameters" page

• get the path from "Publish Documents"

• using Windows Explorer, browse to the Publish Documents folder

• there should be one .mxd file

• open that and check whether you can find that specific layer

• Note: DO NOT modify them - these folders and their contents (.mxd/.msd etc.) are managed by the Server framework. Modifying the contents may result in expected failures or corrupt the server
0 Kudos
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor
Yes, the layer displays there, but not in the Server Manager preview or the browser.
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
Alan,
please contact Esri Tech Support. Sorry I can't think of anything further w/o looking at this.
0 Kudos