Select to view content in your preferred language

Issues with Map Tour template

07-10-2013 04:48 AM
ScottAulen2
Deactivated User
We're trying to utilize the hosted Map Tour template but keep encountering a number of errors.  Application is 90% complete but making edits and uploading the final pictures only works some of the time.  Usually the picture will upload from the builder mode side but when we switch to view it it's no longer there.  We've had only the thumbnail show up a few times and had it put a completely different picture as well. 

It seems that it's possibly related to the browser cache because when the cache is deleted it will show the changes...most of the time.  I've tried editing in IE9, Chrome and Firefox.  Clearing the cache out after every upload is a nuisance and doesn't work 100% of the time.  ESRI support was unable to recreate the issue so perhaps it's something on our end, but I don't know what that would be.  Any thoughts?

http://grvlsc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=e2785427a71e40618327ee83aee36225&webmap=...

Scott
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User
Hi Scott,

Sorry for the inconvenience, there must be a common root issue specific to your environment. I see that the application was created before last ArcGIS Online release, please try to make a new Map Tour from scratch and let me know if it's better (creating a new webmap, creating a Map Tour web app and creating a new Feature Service).

Greg
0 Kudos
MikeOntrails
Emerging Contributor
Seeing same or similar issue here. The builder saves things some of the time. This morning its particularly nasty. I've lost hours time from entering and re-entering information. I'm clicking save regularly. Seems hit-or-miss as to when it'll actually save content or just pretend.

This map tour template is not ready for production. User beware.
0 Kudos
DanielDesai
New Contributor
I am having a similar problem. I've created a Story Map using the Map Tour template in the Hosted environment. I've been trying to add HTML tags to the captions (for hyperlinks, etc.). The HTML takes effect, but when I save changes either the text enclosed by HTML tags disappears, or sometimes the entire caption text disappears. This happens both when loading captions from a .csv file as well as typing directly in the interactive Builder window.

Previously I had a similar issue with linking to photos, however this now seems to work.

The link for the Map Tour I'm working on is http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=426fb2b79e114cbd969b468d576ad46b&webmap=b964ba95...

Thank you very much for your assistance.
0 Kudos
CraigMcDade
Deactivated User
I've also noticed similar errors. For those whose pictures are "disappearing" between builder and view mode, if you go back into builder mode and reorganize the pictures you may notice, as I did, that some of the most recent additions are grayed out and if you click on them and hit "show" they will then show up in view mode.
0 Kudos
MikeOntrails
Emerging Contributor
I've seen the images grayed out too. The first couple times I didn't notice the "show" button and left scratching my head as to why they were gray. Wrong move! Images and text lost forever. You want to click the "show" button to restore.  It's not clear to me as to why they disappear and turn up gray in the "organize window".
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User
We are very sorry about the issues you've experienced. We have seen most of them and we are working on fixing them for an upcoming release in September. The application is still young and evolving rapidly, we appreciate your feedback.

Although the builder designed to work in all browsers, we recommend Chrome if you are experiencing problems.

The following three things may sound lame but we want to make sure you don't give up making your map tours.

The first is that if you are experiencing multiple problems with pictures disappearing, something may have gone wrong and it may be more simple to start a new app and make a new web map.

Second, saving/reloading the application frequently will prevent you from frustrating data loss.

Lastly, the original way of making a Map Tour by using CSV is still available. From the import screen you are able to download an example CSV, edit it and come back to the import screen to import it. That way you will just have to use the builder for the import and general settings and you should not experience any issues.

About the issue with html tag not saved in captions please gave me one example that is not working and I will look. Have you tried to use that same markup in a fresh Map Tour? It may be related to general instability of the save than to the html tags.
0 Kudos
MikeOntrails
Emerging Contributor
Thanks for the response and tips. Hope to see the app get polished up. Would like to see these significant bugs :mad: fixed and then add a little more ability to customize the appearance.  All of that aside, I'm finding the app to be very useful.:o
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Esri Alum
Hi Mike,

One additional tip is that if you want to do more customization, you can download the template and put it onto your own website or webserver. By hosting the template yourself you can do unlimited customization of the app.  There are some examples of story map customization tweeted on @EsriStoryMaps. To download the map tour template, go here.
0 Kudos
DanielDesai
New Contributor
I've started a Map Tour app. It's at

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=5966704170ee46bd86d0bec4bf0908a8&webmap=44749602...

This time, it seemed to work better at first. I was able to successfully upload the captions, with HTML formatting, and they saved in the app. However when I tried to move the location markers around in the interactive builder, saving the location changes caused a loss of all the HTML-formatted captions (not just the formatting, the entire content).

As for the HTML tags themselves, they are nothing complicated. Here is one example:

<p>
A true Mobility-On-Demand, zero-emission automotive solution specifically designed for city travel, the MIT City Car concept is currently in production by Basque firm Hiriko. Initially to be launched in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain, Boston is being considered as a future launch city.
<br/><em>Photo: Hiriko</em>
</p>
Speed: 30 km/h CO<sub>2</sub>: NONE
<br/>
<a href="http://cp.media.mit.edu/research/54-citycar" target="_blank">cp.media.mit.edu/research/54-citycar</a>

All of the HTML has been proofed in Dreamweaver and looks right there. It actually looks right in the Map Tour as well, it just tends to disappear inexplicably.

Thanks very much for your assistance!
0 Kudos