Python Interpreter Window Symbols

Jump to solution
06-18-2013 08:34 AM
ChadPollard
New Contributor II
Hello.  Can anyone tell me where I can find information on what the symbols mean, in the auto fill box, when typing commands in the Python Interpreter window?  When I start to type in a command, the auto fill begins to give me possible commands that I'm looking for.  On the left side of each command is, for example, a blue box with blue dashes or just a purple box.  I've looked everywhere for an explanation of what these mean, and I cannot find anything at all.  I'm new to Python and I'm not an expert programmer, so that's probably why I'm not understanding this.  But as I move through tutorials, I'd like to know what these mean.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you for any info.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello.  Can anyone tell me where I can find information on what the symbols mean, in the auto fill box, when typing commands in the Python Interpreter window?

The commands in blue are default python keywords, which are built-in constructs within the language. Commands in purple are based on the environment: modules, variables and functions that are currently defined in the current session. And finally yellow is used to denote layers that are being pulled in from the current map.

cheers,
Shaun

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello.  Can anyone tell me where I can find information on what the symbols mean, in the auto fill box, when typing commands in the Python Interpreter window?

The commands in blue are default python keywords, which are built-in constructs within the language. Commands in purple are based on the environment: modules, variables and functions that are currently defined in the current session. And finally yellow is used to denote layers that are being pulled in from the current map.

cheers,
Shaun
0 Kudos
ChadPollard
New Contributor II
Thank you so much Shaun!  I understand now.  I spent a long time trying to find that info.  Thanks again.  And cheers to you. 🙂
0 Kudos