Transfer .tlb/.dll to a different system

Jump to solution
06-11-2013 05:46 AM
LindseyWood
New Contributor III
Hello all,
Hopefully this is pretty straightforward I am usually a Python person but had to update a tool from vba to vb.net.  I have it working on my system using Visual Studio 10.0 Pro and Arc 10.0. Some of the questions below maybe obvious but as this is my first time transferring if there is a resource I could follow that someone could point me in the right direction.
1) When I transfer the .tlb to another system with 10.1 is does not work correctly. Do I need to do some package function when finished in Visual Studio?
2) I assume I need to install the .sdk libraries for 10.1 as well? But I hope I do not need to install Visual Studio each time I transfer this to another system.
3) Also is there any difference between 10-10.1 language/library wise?
thanks!
Perhaps this is what I need?
http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/How_to_register_COM_com...
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Hello all,
1) When I transfer the .tlb to another system with 10.1 is does not work correctly. Do I need to do some package function when finished in Visual Studio?
2) I assume I need to install the .sdk libraries for 10.1 as well? But I hope I do not need to install Visual Studio each time I transfer this to another system.
thanks!

You haven't told us what your code does.  For example, if it is an add-in then you don't need a tlb.

If we assume that you have to have a tlb then it must be registered with the system.  There are many ways to do this.  I'd suggest that you look at using ESRIRegAsm (just Google it).

The target machine certainly does not need Visual Studio installed.

You should assume that you need to rebuild your code when the ESRI platform changes.  You should also not be surprised if you have to make changes in your code when doing so.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Hello all,
thanks!

You haven't told us what your code does.  For example, if it is an add-in then you don't need a tlb.

If we assume that you have to have a tlb then it must be registered with the system.  There are many ways to do this.  I'd suggest that you look at using ESRIRegAsm (just Google it).

The target machine certainly does not need Visual Studio installed.

You should assume that you need to rebuild your code when the ESRI platform changes.  You should also not be surprised if you have to make changes in your code when doing so.
0 Kudos
LindseyWood
New Contributor III
That was it thank you very much... on a side not if you try to add it from a network connection it will not work due to security issues I had to copy it over the system using it then register the .dll using ESRIregAsm.exe.

Is there an easy way to convert this to an add in? We typically do not have Admin rights and that would be easier for transporting.... could I just copy the code to a new Add in project or does that have more consequences, I assume for some error fixes but hopefully not the entire thing it would use the same objects?
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
There is a ton of information on using add-ins.  Just Google "arcmap add-ins".

Add-ins have access to the full desktop API.  What is different is how and when they are loaded.  If you have a choice then using a add-in is recommended.

Whether or not you can migrate your code to an add-in depends on the nature of your code.  My >guess< is that it would be very simple for you to do this.
0 Kudos