ArcGIS Server Account - Operating System Access

06-06-2013 09:15 AM
MikeBly
Occasional Contributor
HI All,

Attempting to configure ArcGIS for Server 10.1 for the first time. I am getting held up at granting the ArcGIS Server account access to the database.

ArcGIS server resides on Server A, database (SQL, SDE) resides on Server B. I have created a publisher connection to Server A vai ArcCatalog. I am attempting to publish a service to Server B, however upon registering the database that resides on Server B, I receive an error that the "item is inaccessible". I assume this means that Server A cannot read the database on Server B. I know that I have to grant read access to the ArcGIS Server Account, but I am having difficulty figuring out how to do this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,

MIke
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Mike,

This type of information is documented at the Making your data accessible to ArcGIS Server help page. Go to the Granting permissions to data in a geodatabase section.

You will need to create a user in the SQL Server that will represent the ArcGIS Server Account (this can be done either in SQL Server or by using the Add User GP tool). Depending on whether you use a local AGS account or a domain one, you might need to manually create an exact copy of the AGS account on the SQL/SDE machine. Afterwards, connect to your SQL Server geodatabase (under Database Connections in the Catalog window), right-click a dataset and choose Manage > Privileges. Add your db AGS account and applicable privileges. The same thing can be done with the Change Privileges GP tool (for granting privileges on multiple db objects).

Also don't forget that you need to install SQL Native Client on the GIS server machine in order to be able to connect to the SQL Server. SQL Server protocols should also have the TCP/IP enabled in order to be able to accept connections.
0 Kudos