Multi Users using same account

05-31-2013 01:06 PM
ElizabethVan_Pate
New Contributor
I'm a middle school teacher who teaches technology. I created one username & password for all of my 34 students to simultaneously add map notes (marking their specifically assigned country) on the same map.

We're finding that a few students' map notes will appear for a short time, then disappear. So, after two days, I have one map that shows only one country marked - the first one, when many students have added map notes.

Is what I'm trying to do possible?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Map notes are not meant for simultaneous editing. What I suspect is happening is that as each child saves their edit, it overwrites any existing edits. I suppose if the children made their edits sequentially, you could avoid the overwrite problem. Even with unique usernames, you won't be able to achieve what you want with map notes because map notes are stored in the web map that contains them and only the owner of the web map can make changes to it.

The only way to achieve what you want is to create a hosted feature service, which requires a subscription to ArcGIS Online.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NathanCoon
New Contributor III
Mike

Is there a limit to how many times one account can be logged in at the same time? For example, if there are 3 people in a County Department - rather than creating/using a unique username for each employee, what about one login for the Department that those 3 staff share? This would be for simply viewing maps and published data, not editing any layers or adding map notes. So in theory the one account could possibly be accessed from 3 different locations at the same time (1 in office, 1 at meeting, 1 in the field). Would they get some kind of error stating "too many users logged in" or anything?
0 Kudos