Feature Service - Search Tasks

05-31-2013 10:33 AM
BrianRassier
Occasional Contributor
Hello -

We leverage ArcGIS Server services and we use Query, Identify and Find tasks.  I've confirmed that Query works with ArcGIS Online feature services.  Can someone confirm if the Find and Identify tasks exist for ArcGIS Online feature services?

I've seen some forum posts state that Identify doesn't exist.  It'd be nice to confirm that, along with the Find task.  Is there documentation stating what tasks exist on ArcGIS Server vs. what exists for ArcGIS Online?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Feature services (hosted and ArcGIS Server) only support Query.
ArcGIS Server Map Services support Find and Identify. These tasks were done to support ArcGIS Destkop and return values that work well in the desktop environment. Query is the task other clients use.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianRassier
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Mike.

I've heard that Dynamic Map Service support is actively being developed for ArcGIS Online.  Any idea if that would include Find and Identify support too?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Why do you need Find and Identify? Query should work.

If I had to take an educated guess about whether the dynamic map service would have it, I'd guess no. The current thinking is that hosted dynamic mapping will be a capability of a hosted feature service, not a new hosted service type. But I'm not sure here...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianRassier
Occasional Contributor
Hi Mike -

We have a product where clients may use it against ArcGIS Server endpoints, local data packages, or ArcGIS Online endpoints.  This product has lots of features, some of which use Find and Identify.  These features currently work against ArcGIS Server and Local data packages.  For ArcGIS Online we'd either have to consider these Find and Identify features unsupported, or code a unique set of logic for ArcGIS Online.  We'd like to avoid unique coding based on the different rest endpoint types.
0 Kudos