Display feature areas

05-24-2013 12:41 PM
WillSchulte
New Contributor II
I am working on a web app on AGOL that will allow (hopefully) users to calculate the amount of water required to irrigate the landscapes on their properties.  I've successfully uploaded aerial imagery through a map service and created a feature service where users can create features and assign a plant type to them using a drop down menu (turf, trees, pools, xeriscape). 

I am having trouble with the final 2 pieces though.  Once the feature is created and the plant type is chosen, I need the area to be calculated and displayed, ideally in the pop up along with the other attributes. 

Then the real tricky part.  I have a series of simple calculations that have to be performed based on the area and plant type that produce the actual irrigation requirement.  I understand I will have to do this through an API, most likely javascript.  I am a novice when it comes to web development and my javascript skills are very miniscule.  If anyone has any experience with A) displaying the area of a feature in a feature service, and B) embedding code to perform custom calculations, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a good weekend,

Will
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LiamDeo
New Contributor
I am having the same problem.  I need the web map to display the area of features that I create along with the rest of the attributes.  Is this capability not supported in ArcGIS Online? 

Liam
0 Kudos