Data added from ArcGIS online to a desktop computer is missing feature layers

05-23-2013 01:48 PM
MichaelBowers
New Contributor
I created and published a feature service online consisting of two point feature classes and a line feature class.  I added it to a web map and have been collecting data and attaching photographs using Collector.  When I add the feature service to my desktop in preparation for making a local copy, only one of the three feature layers is downloaded.  The link to the data from my desktop is the same as the listed location when I look at details of the service on-line except that the online version has a \0 \1 or \2 at the end of the string.  All of the data is still visible on the web map.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to download the other data.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
How are you adding the feature service to the map? Here's how I do it.

1. Start ArcMap.

2. From the catalog window, go to My Hosted Services and find the service (you may need to sign in to arcgis online).

3. Find the feature service you want to add.

4. Drag it onto the map. You should see a group layer in the map

5. Right click on the group layer and select Edit Features>Create local copy.

You should now have a local copy for editing.

FYI, with a feature service, you can access the entire service with all of its layers or the individual layers inside the feature serivce. If the URL you specify to the service has, for example, \0, \1, \2, at the end of it, these are specific layer references. If you want to access the entire service, don't append the number.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelBowers
New Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions.  That seems to work.  I had read somewhere that you had to switch from administrator to user to be able to download a local copy.  I had been doing that and adding data using the "yellow with plus sign" tool and selecting "Add data from arcgis online".  That had previously worked, but in this episode had only downloaded one of the three feature classes.  Thanks again.
0 Kudos
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III
What desktop version that you're using? I currently use 10.0. Will it work the same?
Thanks
0 Kudos