Add-In location

Jump to solution
05-20-2013 02:52 AM
GISScientist
New Contributor
I have a Desktop Add-In located on a network drive that several people access.

I am interested in grabbing the location of this Add-In using VB or C#.

I don't want the executing assembly location that is found at a users C-drive, I want the network location, which annoyingly users have mapped as different drive letters.

Any help appreciated.
David
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
There's an XML file in the user's AppData folder that should list all folders they've added to the Add-In search path -

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\AddInFoldersList.xml

It can also be stored in the registry but only if a key was added manually and the user has permission to write to the registry.  See the very end of this

'>help topic

I'd try the XML file and check each node under the appropriate appplication (ArcMap node for example) and see if the folder name without the drive letter matches the location.  There are a couple of ways to convert the drive letter to a UNC path too if you want to make sure the user didn't map to another server with an identical folder name.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
There's an XML file in the user's AppData folder that should list all folders they've added to the Add-In search path -

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\AddInFoldersList.xml

It can also be stored in the registry but only if a key was added manually and the user has permission to write to the registry.  See the very end of this

'>help topic

I'd try the XML file and check each node under the appropriate appplication (ArcMap node for example) and see if the folder name without the drive letter matches the location.  There are a couple of ways to convert the drive letter to a UNC path too if you want to make sure the user didn't map to another server with an identical folder name.
0 Kudos
GISScientist
New Contributor
Thanks

Shame there isn't anything for each tool, but I can work around the settings in that file. It was in a slightly different location for me:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Desktop10.0

David
0 Kudos