Licensing, Feature set & continuous integration

05-17-2013 02:47 AM
Labels (1)
PhilBeeson
New Contributor
Generally, I think I understand the theory behind ESRI's licensing for SDK for WPF.  However I still have some practical questions relating to our required use case.   I'd appreciate anyone with insight to share their experience or knowledge, I can't be the first person to tread this path.

Our GIS requirements are generally very simple, most of our customers will manage with just a tiled base layer with a few icons on a graphics layer dynamically generated locally.   As far as I can see, these customers will be adequately served by a basic license.   Some of our customers will also want to add layers generated from local shape files, for which we will need standard licenses.   Is there any way we can dual license the SDK and have the feature set entirely dependent on which licence the customer has been supplied with?

Our GIS functionality is just a small part of a much larger PRISM based application.  The GIS functionality needs to be implemented as a dynamically loaded module within our application.   Not all deployments will include that module or the ESRI assemblies.  All the documentation I've seen referrs to embedding the license string in the application.   Would the licensing technology still work if the licensing string is embedded in the assembly that implements all our GIS module?  This assembly would be the only one in the application that references any of the ESRI assemblies.

We use a separate build machine to the developers machines and run on demand and scheduled builds on this machine,  can this machine build applications without a developer license? (There is no developer for this machine, it's just used as a controlled environment for CM builds).

Phil.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MatthewBrown1
Occasional Contributor
Hi Phil,

This thread might be of some help:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/61782-EDN-Authorization-Question

I am in the process of discussing the implications for build servers and testing with our account manager - I don't have the final answer but it seems that in some circumstances a full EDN is not required. I recommend that you contact your account manager/local ESRI rep and get them to confirm this for your situation.

Regarding the basic vs standard licensing, are your users going to be connected to your network in any way? You might be able to write some code to track the number of standard licenses being used when you deploy the application. Because the basic license is free, there should be no problem including this license code in your deployment.
0 Kudos