Data Driven Pages and alternating data frames

05-02-2013 12:45 PM
ScottAulen1
New Contributor
Is it possible to create a mapbook with alternating data frames (and alternating layers) for each page?  The extent will remain the same.  The index layer would read 1 A-B, 2A-B, 3A-B, etc.  Page 1A would have a topographic base map layer and page 1B would be an aerial layer and would continue on as such.  I could certainly do two different mapbooks and then arrange them but this is a hassle and I want to ensure the pages are labeled correctly.  Is this an arcpy.mapping task?

Scott
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
This can be done and is best done with arcpy.mapping.  You can have two DDP enabled MXDs, one for each side but ultimately you will need arcpy.mapping to merge the pages into the order you needed them.  There is an arcpy.mapping sample in the help that demonstrates this with "facing pages".

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Creating_a_map_book_with_facing_pages/00s90000002p00...

Jeff
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Could you post an image of what you are trying to achieve?

I think what your saying you want is two data frames that each show the same extent but have different features

Is it possible to create a mapbook with alternating data frames (and alternating layers) for each page?  The extent will remain the same.  The index layer would read 1 A-B, 2A-B, 3A-B, etc.  Page 1A would have a topographic base map layer and page 1B would be an aerial layer and would continue on as such.  I could certainly do two different mapbooks and then arrange them but this is a hassle and I want to ensure the pages are labeled correctly.  Is this an arcpy.mapping task?

Scott
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
I have done it in the past with 2 mxd's.  If you name your pages correctly and export them from data driven pages as PDFs they will sort themselves out in whatever folder you put them in and then you just select all the PDF's in Windows Explorer and right click and select combine the PDF's

It would be a simple definition query for each mxd to distinguish the A and B pages.

In our case it got a little more complicated.  Our other side had customer billing information that was generated in MS Access.  So I printed them as a single PDF, extracted them all and create a simple DOS batch command to rename all the other pages with the correct name to sort them alphabetically.

I looked at other answer using arcpy.mapping and it sounds like you create two mxds one for each side and then you run the script to combine the PDF files.

Scott
0 Kudos