AnsweredAssumed Answered

Input field names with dynamic text box and delete unwanted fields

Question asked by scoggins on Apr 27, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 by scoggins
Hi all

I'm trying to find a way to add field names to each feature class in a geodatabase with Python.

My pseudo-code so far is:

1) Buffer points
2) Add field to each featureclass with name that represents the featureclass.
3) Calculate field, entering the value Y in each field.
4) Perform Spatial join on, the Y value will appear in each record where the point intersects featureclasses.
5) Delete all unwanted fields so that I am left with the point identifier, and each column containing Y's
6) Output to .csv

I can do the spatial join and have that running. At the moment I have no way of determining the unique field name for each featureclass.

So I would like the field names to be meaningful, (not just Field1). I am using about 40 features which represent a variety of environmental considerations. For example, for a file representing wetlands I would like a field called Wetland. I have looked at TKInter which I've read can be used to enter text dynamically and then used as a variable, which I think would work well. It would ensure that I know what each field name means. I just don't seem to be able to use the input text as a variable.

The TKInter code is (I am open to other suggestions of course):

import arcpy from arcpy import env from Tkinter import *  # Environment Workspace env.workspace = r'G:\TEST\Python_Test\Test.gdb'  def receive():     text = E1.get()     print (text) top = Tk() L1 = Label(top, text="User Name") L1.pack( side = LEFT) E1 = Entry(top, bd =5) E1.pack(side = RIGHT) b = Button(top, text="OK", width=10, command=receive) b.pack() top.mainloop()

My code so far is:

# Import arcpy module import arcpy from arcpy import env  env.workspace = r'G:\Test\Python_Test\Test.gdb\env'  # Local variables: Buffer1 = r'G:\Test\Python_Test\Test.gdb\Buffer1' Buffer2 = r'G:\Test\Python_Test\Test.gdb\Buffer2'  # Add and calculate fields (WOULD BE NICE TO REPLACE THIS SECTION WITH TKinter CODE) inFile1 = 'Env_consideration1' arcpy.AddField_management(inFile1, "RVMA", "TEXT", "", "", "50", "", "NULLABLE", "REQUIRED", "") print inFile1 + " Added field" arcpy.CalculateField_management(inFile1, "RVMA", "\"Y\"", "PYTHON", "") print inFile1 + " Calculating field"  inFile2 = 'Env_consideration2' arcpy.AddField_management(inFile2, "GWR", "TEXT", "", "", "50", "", "NULLABLE", "REQUIRED", "") print inFile2 + " Added field" arcpy.CalculateField_management(inFile2, "GWR", "\"Y\"", "PYTHON", "") print inFile2 + " Calculating field"  fcList = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses()  for f in fcList:          # Process: Spatial Join     arcpy.SpatialJoin_analysis(Buffer1, f, Buffer2, "JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE", "KEEP_ALL")     print "Completed spatial join " + f      # Process: Delete     arcpy.Delete_management(Buffer1, "FeatureClass")     print "deleted Buffer1 " + f      # Process: Copy     arcpy.Copy_management(Buffer2, Buffer1, "")     print "Copied Buffer2 to Buffer1 "  + f      # Process: Delete     arcpy.Delete_management(Buffer2, "FeatureClass")     print "Deleted Buffer2 "  + f  keep = ['OBJECTID', 'Shape', 'Tower', 'RVMA','GWR', 'Shape_Area', 'Shape_Length']  discard = [] for field in [f.name for f in arcpy.ListFields(Buffer1)if f.type <> 'OBJECTID']:     if field not in keep:         discard.append(field) arcpy.DeleteField_management(Buffer1, discard) 

Outcomes