Large Raster Processing:

04-26-2013 09:46 AM
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Yes, I am working with statewide 10 Meter DEMs currently housed in a file geodatabase with the intention to place them into an SDE.  I am having to do the basic processing to get them corrected.  They are currently in a file geodatabase raster dataset, and I was wondering if any other of the formats would provide me a faster rendering time?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
That is more of a hardware issue.  If your original data was in SID that could cause issues as well. Perhaps you could give it a shot instead working in the Rasters native format to georeference it.  Then import into a database.

Yes, I am working with statewide 10 Meter DEMs currently housed in a file geodatabase with the intention to place them into an SDE.  I am having to do the basic processing to get them corrected.  They are currently in a file geodatabase raster dataset, and I was wondering if any other of the formats would provide me a faster rendering time?
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Its definately not a hardware issue.  I am running a 2.3 GigaHertz QuadCore, with 24 GBs of RAM on a 64bit machine.

Although I have been successful in processing multiple states, and moving to an SDE environment, I am still having some rendering issues.  For instance, everytime I selct the raster it wants to generate a pyramid, which is fine, but this process is only needed once.
I know I could resample the data, or simply change the 10 meter decimals into integers, but I want to retain the integrity of the data.  The pyramids should help, but they are not.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Mark

Why don't you build pyramids on all your large rasters (or the one that you render often)?

If you are creating rasters using Spatial Analyst you should run the Build Pyramids tool afterwards. The main reason that SA does not honor the pyramids setting is because of performance. You don't need pyramids for each raster that is created while doing your workflow. You usiually only need it if the output is large and will be rendered often.

Hope this helps

Steve
0 Kudos