Problem with running ArcMap 10.1 after processing

04-09-2013 10:01 AM
JosiahNewman
New Contributor
So I'm working on my thesis for my Master's, which involves using several different layers of information (e.g. soils, land use) to create a model in ArcMap. 

The problem is that I want to use one layer of information related to slope, and I am deriving this data through using a 1 meter by 1 meter DEM (LIDAR Data).  Since this layer is very fine, there is a distortion that is created when you simply run the slope tool on it, so I have resampled the data to 10 feet by 10 feet and then run the slope tool on it.  After resampling the data, I plug it into the slope tool and get an output.

Now that I have processed 12 different sheets this way, I cannot even open my ArcMap document.  The sheets are 10,000 ft by 10,000 ft, so the derived raster with 10x10 ft cells in it yields 1,000,000 separate raster cells (per sheet).  I need to cover an entire watershed in this manner, and after freezing ArcMap all day, I'm thinking this isn't practical.  The watershed is 7.7 square miles.  I was wondering if anyone had any input on what to do now, or what type of raster size I should choose to actually get my model to run?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
You may want to increase the raster size Arc Map will deal with. See here including the link in the post.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/23888-Problem-with-DEM-and-Path-Distance?p=247771&viewfull=1#post24...
0 Kudos