Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server 10.1 on Ubuntu Server

03-30-2013 11:04 AM
GeorgeRaber1
Deactivated User
I know Ubuntu Linux is not on the official list of supporting operating systems, but I have gotten it to work in serval cases and it does show up on the amazon cloud.  However, I can only get it to work with the ubuntu-desktop package installed (regardless of having started from the desktop or server version of the os).  The install and startup processes of ArcGIS server work regardless, but unless the ubuntu-desktop package is installed when I go to create a site I get this error after the site creation wizard:

Failed to create the site. Failed to create the service "System/CachingTools.GPServer"

Once I run apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, the wizard runs fine and creates the site (the site then works as expected).  ubuntu-desktop installs a ton of other packages.  Does anyone have any idea what package(s) arcgis is dependent on here so that I need not install the whole desktop system?

Here is a list of packages that ubuntu desktop installs:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/ubuntu-desktop

PS.  I have found that I needed to install xvfb before the service would even run, but that does not solve the site creation problem which must be dependent on one of these ubuntu-desktop packages.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
GeorgeRaber1
Deactivated User
Ok, I narrowed it down a little by incrementally installing the dependency packages for ubuntu-desktop.  If I install the xorg package rather then the complete ubuntu-desktop it works.  It would be nice to narrow that down a little further within the subpackages of xorg if anyone has additional ideas.
0 Kudos