Layer Data not registered with server??

03-25-2013 12:01 PM
JuliaDalton
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm currently setting up a new 10.1 server and am trying to publish some services onto the new site. I keep getting a warning message saying the "layer data is not registered with the server" but I have registered all of our Geodatabases with the server and validated them. Is there something else I need to do? I can still publish the services fine, but I am worried that something isn't right and I will face a bigger problem down the road. I would like to get this taken care of before I move over our production database.  I am working with 10.1 server and client, as well as SQL Server.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Julia
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Julia, are you sure that you haven't a source out of geodatabase registered (sql server) , for example table ecc. ? (easy seeing in TOC of ArcMap: List by source)
0 Kudos
JuliaDalton
New Contributor
Thanks, I have re-checked everything in my mxds and all the data sources are in the registered databases. Could this be some sort of privilege issue going on?
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
I had this problem too.  The only way it recognizes the databases is through UNC paths.  It doesn't understand drive letters.  So you to make an ArcCatalog connection using the UNC path \\servername\folder\folder\linktoserver then repath everything through that connection.
It will now give a low priority unc path error which you can ignore.
0 Kudos
JuliaDalton
New Contributor
How do you make the connection in ArcCatalog a UNC path? I go to 'connect to folder' and I type in my UNC path, but it says folder type is invalid? It only lets me connect with a drive letter connection. My UNC path is \\myserver\folder\connection.sde
0 Kudos
JuliaDalton
New Contributor
Okay, I got my UNC connection path created. I didn't have the folder set to "share". oops! I right click on an mxd and click on 'set data source' I change the drive letter file to my UNC path and click 'OK'. A copy of my mxd is made with the correct UNC path data source. I publish that copy and I still get the 'layer data source is not registered with the server' warning. Any more suggestions?
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
julia, but if you do a double click on warning message for resolve the issue, it creates registration with server. Have you again same problem?
0 Kudos
JuliaDalton
New Contributor
I try that and I get an error! "Underlying RDBMS Error: SQL Server Native Client 10.0 login failed...Windows Authentication is from an Untrusted Domain" This is why I feel it's a privilege issue that I am missing somewhere. I have the ArcGIS server logon registered as a database user with read ability. Is there something else I need to do?
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Are you connecting to SQL Server instance is running on another server? If that�??s the case, you can connect to with SQL Server Authentication and login with a database user
0 Kudos