How to delete the data source in dynamic workspace in ArcGIS server 10.1

03-17-2013 07:12 PM
qiangchen
New Contributor
Hi. I configured a dynamic workspace for ArcGIS server 10.1 to provide dynamic layer. I have added many data sources into the dynamic workspace, after showing the data in map I want to delete some of them. But I could not delete some data sources unless close the server. My question is whether I can delete some data sources from the dynamic workspace without closing the server? Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
It sounds like the issue you're dealing with here is schema locking and there a few different things you can try without stopping the whole server.

1. Try stopping the individual service either from ArcCatalog or ArcGIS Server Manager and then deleting the data source.

2. Disable schema locking for the service, the work flow is documented in this resource page.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000005z9000000

3. Overwrite the service with the data you want, after that when the undesired data no longer part of the service, it will no longer be locked and you should be able to delete it.

What kind of data are you working with? For instance Is it a file geodatabase or SDE?
0 Kudos
qiangchen
New Contributor
Thank you very much. The workspace is a local file directory, and its data type is raster.

It sounds like the issue you're dealing with here is schema locking and there a few different things you can try without stopping the whole server.

1. Try stopping the individual service either from ArcCatalog or ArcGIS Server Manager and then deleting the data source.

2. Disable schema locking for the service, the work flow is documented in this resource page.

3. Overwrite the service with the data you want, after that when the undesired data no longer part of the service, it will no longer be locked and you should be able to delete it.

What kind of data are you working with? For instance Is it a file geodatabase or SDE?
0 Kudos
qiangchen
New Contributor
I can not find the "schema locking" following http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000005z9000000.

0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Do you not see this option? Unchecking that box should disable the schema locks created by the service.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22794[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
qiangchen
New Contributor
I can not see the option.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22819[/ATTACH]

Do you not see this option? Unchecking that box should disable the schema locks created by the service.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22794[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
If you stop the service are you able to delete the data source? What error message do you get when trying to delete it?
0 Kudos
qiangchen
New Contributor
Error message: "the action cannot be completed because the file is open in ArcSOC.exe". Thanks.

If you stop the service are you able to delete the data source? What error message do you get when trying to delete it?
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
Try rebooting the server and see if it then lets you stop and delete the services.
0 Kudos
qiangchen
New Contributor
I can delete the files after rebooting. Thanks.

Try rebooting the server and see if it then lets you stop and delete the services.
0 Kudos