Problem registering database in ArcGIS Server

03-06-2013 07:54 AM
Yi-SzLin
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am trying to register my enterprise geodatabase with the GIS server. It's working OK when I register it but it's still showing up as a warning after I analyze it again. It always shows a green check after validation but fails in analyze. Please help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Can you please provide a clearer picture of your environment?

Are you registering a SQL Server, Oracle or other type of database?

Do you have ArcGIS Desktop on the same machine as ArcGIS Server (AGS)?  ArcGIS Desktop is still 32 bit at v10.1 and AGS is 64 bit at 10.1.
0 Kudos
Yi-SzLin
New Contributor II
I am registring a SQL Server. I have ArcGIS Desktop on the same machine as ArcGIS Server. I tried registering the database in both Desktop and Server Manager but both failed the analyze. In Server manager it shows green check after validation but it becomes a question mark after edit and save without changing anything. I did use a UNC instead of a local path.

Can you please provide a clearer picture of your environment?

Are you registering a SQL Server, Oracle or other type of database?

Do you have ArcGIS Desktop on the same machine as ArcGIS Server (AGS)?  ArcGIS Desktop is still 32 bit at v10.1 and AGS is 64 bit at 10.1.
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
One thing to check would be to make sure you haven't registered it as ArcGIS Server's Managed Database. Using this scenario, when you publish, the data referenced by your GIS resource will still be copied to the server as each layer that you publish contains its own private copy of the data in ArcGIS Server's Managed Database. If you try to register it from from the analyze window do you receive this error? "The database is already registered as an ArcGIS Server managed database?"

This documentation provides more detail for the scenario i described above:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000003rn000000#ESRI_SECTION1_3DDF21D6...

Another thing to make sure of is that you registered the same database connection that the data is sourced to, did you import the database connection when registering with the data store?

Hope this help!

Daniel, S.
0 Kudos
Yi-SzLin
New Contributor II
No, I didn't register it as Managed Database. I did import using the connection file. It's working when I register it but the registered database in the Data Store dialogue becomes a grey dot after I re-analyze it. It would become a green check again after I validate it. It's been bothering me for a while as I don't want to copy the data to GIS Server when publishing it.
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
What happens when you try to register from the analyze window? Does it resolve the warning or do you receive an error?
0 Kudos
Yi-SzLin
New Contributor II
I right click the warning message and open database registration page. then I validate the database and it returned a green check. The message status changed to Re-analyze. I analyze again and the same message came up again. When I open the database registration page again it becomes a grey dot instead of a green check. It would become a green check again after I validate it again.
0 Kudos
StevenMoore1
Esri Contributor
What is the exact message you are seeing in the analyzer window? Is it saying that data will be copied to the server, or something else?

Also, the green check changing into a question mark or grey dot is normal and shouldn't be a problem.
0 Kudos
Yi-SzLin
New Contributor II
I am attaching a scereen shot of the analyze results. Thanks.
0 Kudos
StevenMoore1
Esri Contributor
When you registered this database, did you register a folder location or did you register a database connection? I only ask because you mentioned using a UNC path in one of your previous posts.

You would need to register the actual .sde connection to the SQL database.
0 Kudos