database will not register by folder

03-01-2013 04:54 AM
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Hi all,

I'm trying to publish some maps to the server 10.1.  When they are "analyzed" they show that the data is not registered with the server.  I then go to the folder and register the data.  It says the data is registered, however, when it's "re-analyzed" it gives the same error.  If I go to each sub folder in the catalog tree and register them, then it's ok.  In the documentation it says when you register a folder, all sub folders are registered too.  This doesn't seem to be working.  Any ideas?

On a similar note:
Also, when I try to register any folders in the data stores which are accessed via a share I keep getting "Invalid folder location. Unable to access this location".  I have access to all the data, and all my map documents open properly with all the data. 

Help, thanx Eddie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Yeah, it definitely should be recursive through your subfolders.  I assume that since you can register each individual folder, the permissions should be okay.  Is the data on your local system?  Are you using a drive letter or UNC path?
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
yes i'm using a drive letter of D:\path.....  However, i believe i did some testing on the c: drive and got the same results.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Eddie:

Are you publishing the maps to server 10.1 on the same machine where server is installed?

If so, is your data stored in an Oracle SDE database?

This is my current setup and I had to install both 32 and 64 bit Oracle Client software in order to register the data stores correctly and not have the SDE data automatically copied to the ArcGIS Server server.

I don't know if this will help, but at least you can rule it out if it does not apply.
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the thoughts.  The published maps and 10.1 server are on the same machine.  I'm not using any SDE databases.  Everything is in folders as either a shapefile or file geodatabase.  I've got the services running, but to make it work I had to register every folder individually.  Fortunately for me, that only involved about 10 folders.  As my services grow or with servers out there with large amounts of data, I can see this being a pain when trying to maintain the info.

Eddie
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
It should work as documented in the help; do you currently have maintenance?  I'd suggest logging a support ticket if so, so that we can take a closer look at the problem.
0 Kudos
dancheng
New Contributor II
Hi there,

do you solve the problem since I came across the same one..

"when I try to register any folders in the data stores which are accessed via a share I keep getting "Invalid folder location. Unable to access this location". I have access to all the data, and all my map documents open properly with all the data. "

Thanks!
Dan
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Hi Dan,

No I never heard anymore about the issue.  I just went ahead and registered each folder individually....

sorry,
Eddie
0 Kudos
dancheng
New Contributor II
Hi Eddie,

Me too, it is very weird, I just could not register a subfolder. Thanks anyway.

Dan
0 Kudos
EricTraya
New Contributor
Eddie:

Are you publishing the maps to server 10.1 on the same machine where server is installed?

If so, is your data stored in an Oracle SDE database?

This is my current setup and I had to install both 32 and 64 bit Oracle Client software in order to register the data stores correctly and not have the SDE data automatically copied to the ArcGIS Server server.

I don't know if this will help, but at least you can rule it out if it does not apply.

Michael,

I am having the same issue with Oracle 11g SDE database .  I got both 32 and 64 bit client installed, the data store get register and validated, yet when I try to publish a mxd map, it is not finding that connection and will throw the attached error .
0 Kudos