Credit Usage for Cached Tiles Created Locally and Uploaded

02-27-2013 04:06 AM
AndrewLand
New Contributor II
Here's the scenario: Enable runtime tools, create a tile package via "Share as Tile Package" and upload to an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account.  Login to ArcGIS Online for Organizations, Puiblish the Tile Package.  What am I getting charged for?

(A) Map Tile Generation at 1 credit per 1,000 tiles generated
(B) Tile Loading at 1 credit per 12,000,000 tiles
(C) Tile and Data Storage at 1.2 credits per 1GB stored per month

I know I'm getting charged for (C), but in the end does that workflow hit me for (A)+(B)+(C) and if so why create the tiles locally, or (A)+(C) or (B)+(C)?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You don't get charged for map tile generation if you upload a tile package.

Thanks

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewLand
New Contributor II
Are there limitations to publishing uploaded tile packages with a trial subscription?  I'm testing this as a solution, and am about to pay for a subscription, but when attempting to publish a tile package that will result in 34GB worth of tiles (~1,000,000 tiles for 7 scales bottoming out at 1:282) I'm receiving an error telling me I don't have enough credits.  If what you say is the case, I should only need ~41 credits for the storage, and I'm good on tile loading (at 1 credit for 12,000,000 tiles).  I'm attempting to create a fairly specific budget for the subscription and credit usage.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
So you are publishing this from desktop, right? What version? How many credits are left in your organization? You can check this from the link "View Status" on the My Organization page.

If you have enough credits, we'll have to investigate this.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewLand
New Contributor II
Version 10.1 all around on our end.  At this point I'm on a trial subscription with 179 (of the 200) credits left.  I've tried this workflow using smaller tile packages and things seemed to work as advertised (i.e. no credit consumption other than storage on locally produced tile packages).  We were thinking that ArcGIS Online in a mock sense applies the tile creation calculation against available credits to initiate the publishing process but doesn't actually use the credits in the end...

When we actually execute a paid subscription we'll obviously have more than 200 credits that we'll be working with and this wouldn't be a problem per se', but it does make sense that ArcGIS Online may be using that logic in some way given our success with smaller tile packages and failed efforts with larger tile packages...
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There is a bug here, but I'm not sure if you are encountering the same one...

When does the error occur for you? Can you even publish the package from desktop to your My Content or are you prevented from getting that far?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewLand
New Contributor II
The package does successfully upload to my content upon completion of the Tile Package in ArcGIS Desktop.  When I go to publish the tile package as a map service (via ArcGIS Online), the service is created but none of the tiles are available.  When I go to "manage tiles", choose all scales and click "create tiles", that's when I'm prompted with an insufficient credit dialog.  With smaller packages, going to publish the tile package initiates the creation of the tiles as a map service and no credits are consumed.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks... this is the bug. I was wondering if ArcMap was preventing you from even uploading, but it appears not.

Mike
0 Kudos