Mosaic Dataset as Map Service - Black and White tiles?

02-21-2013 11:14 AM
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Having an issue when I publish a mosaic dataset map service to server. When I zoom in past 1:2000, the imagery disappears and black and white check background shows? When I zoom in past 1:2000 in the actual mosaic dataset it works fine, just when viewing it in a map service, it won't show the imagery past 1:2000 (either cached or dynamic), see map service here:

http://203.190.214.166/arcgis/rest/services/Masterton/Imagery/MapServer?f=jsapi
Tags (2)
13 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Shaun:

When I try to view your mapservice in ArcGIS Javascript from the above link through the REST endpoint, I never see any imagery.

What version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

Do you have the Image Server Extension available to you so you can host this dataset as an image service?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Michael,
You can't publish a mosaic dataset in a map service without the Image Server Extension. 😉

Shaun,
As for the black/white checkerboard, this indicates the imagery could not be found by the server.  Since it happens when you zoom in, it sounds like the server has access to only the overviews, but not the source imagery.  Do you have the source directory registered with the server's data store and did it validate?  While we're at it, since you do have the extension, what happens if you publish the mosaic dataset as an image service rather than a map service?  Do you still see the issue with image service?

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

As for the black/white checkerboard, this indicates the imagery could not be found by the server.

This is correct, take a look at this Blog post for more information:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/08/28/is-your-mosaic-dataset-look-like-a-checkerboard/
0 Kudos
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for those replies. It does seem to be around access to the imagery. I'm just working on something at the moment where I'm coming across the issue again and registering the folder with ArcGIS Server doesn't resolve the issue.

Basically imagery is on server B and ArcGIS Server is on server A. I've registered a shared folder on server B that has the imagery in it and also added an arcgis user and gave it read permissions to the imagery. I can successfully view the mosaic dataset when logged in as me and also the arcgi user, but when I publish it to ArcGIS Server and view the service (as a map service or imagery service) I got the checkered tiles below around 1:5000, so yeah the overviews are readable, but for some reason ArcGIS Server is not reading the imagery even though I've setup all the correct permissions etc.?
0 Kudos
AzinSharaf
Occasional Contributor II

ArcGIS Server service account should have access to imagery.

0 Kudos
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
One thing I've noticed is that the imagery that doesn't work with the above config is in ECW format, whereas the imagery that does work with this config is in Tiff.
0 Kudos
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Looks like ECWs aren't supported in ArcGIS Server without the ECW for ArcGIS for Server extension from ERDAS?

I'm just getting checkered tiles when looking at ECW imagery in a map service.
0 Kudos
ScottTaylor3
New Contributor III

F&^%$^&ing ArcGIS - it's taken me a week and a half of frustration to only find out that its the ECW files I'm using that are the issue!  Not to mention the file paths, the options that aren't options, the need to manually specify MaxPS values, to boost the rows and columns numbers...why does it have to be so F%#$$%% hard to load rasters into a dataset and have them display?????

LukeWarner
New Contributor
Basically imagery is on server B and ArcGIS Server is on server A. I've registered a shared folder on server B that has the imagery in it and also added an arcgis user and gave it read permissions to the imagery. I can successfully view the mosaic dataset when logged in as me and also the arcgi user, but when I publish it to ArcGIS Server and view the service (as a map service or imagery service) I got the checkered tiles below around 1:5000, so yeah the overviews are readable, but for some reason ArcGIS Server is not reading the imagery even though I've setup all the correct permissions etc.?

Did you ever get this resolved, because this is exactly what i'm experiencing.  Mosaic Dataset works great...but as soon as I share as an image service it goes checkerboard on me.  I've also got permissions setup correctly and the imagery directory shared out.  Thanks!
0 Kudos