Python not responding

02-13-2013 05:52 AM
MikeKnowles
New Contributor
I have a co-worker that is running a Python script that continually quits responding (i.e., Task Manager shows that Python is Not Responding).  The script takes a NetCDF file and creates rasters for future analysis and when it quits responding it is at random rasters within the NetCDF file  (occurs in both PythonWin and IDLE).  We have run this same script/data on another "identical" PC (i.e., same make/model, RAM, and processing speed) as well as my PC (same make/different model, RAM, processing speed) and it successfully runs.  This implies, along with the random locations where the script quits responding, that the problem is not with the script or the data. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing Python to quit responding?  We have gone so far as to remove the PC from our network, disable the anti-virus (from workstation aml days), no other programs running.

Running ArcGIS 10.0, Python 2.6.5 on Windows XP.

Thanks,
Mike
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
I'd recommend reinstalling python/ArcGIS first.

How much longer does it run unresponsive on your problem PC than when it is run successfully? When it is not responding is the process still utilizing the CPU? If so is it a constant CPU percentage or does it fluctuate?
0 Kudos
MikeKnowles
New Contributor
I'd recommend reinstalling python/ArcGIS first.

How much longer does it run unresponsive on your problem PC than when it is run successfully? When it is not responding is the process still utilizing the CPU? If so is it a constant CPU percentage or does it fluctuate?

My recollection is that the Task Manager showed no CPU usage.
0 Kudos