AnsweredAssumed Answered

Select Layer by Location not providing correct result.

Question asked by dswhitney77 on Feb 12, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 by dswhitney77
I sought assistance with a portion of this code earlier. I have added an additional step, which to me would seem pretty simple, but I am still learning the ups & downs of Python.

My script creates data driven pages. I use a list to populate a layer definition query to run a specific township. Now I am trying to do a selection (SelectLayerByLocation) to only find the townships where there is data. I first just added the SelectLayerByLocation command. Did not work. With further reading, it looked like I needed to run a MakeFeatureLayer on the two sets of data involved in the selection. Still did not work. Do I need to use cursors or is the answer much simpler?

I do not have any error messages. I have added try/except to see if I can find additional information on what is happening with my script. The data exports just fine, but there are maps that do not have any data.
Thank you for any guidance.

# PoleDDpages.py # Author: slw # Date: XXXXX # Revisions: XXXXX # Description: Create Pole map book series using Data Driven Pages and #           insert a cover page  # Import ArcPy import os,arcpy  try:          # Set up variables     # Location of pole map .mxd document     mxdDoc = r"G:\GEOSPATIAL\Publishing\Pole\Pole_QtrSec.mxd"      # Create the MapDocument object     mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(mxdDoc)     df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd)[0]     layer = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers (mxd, "SURVEY_GRID_BNDRY",df)[0]     poleLyr = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers (mxd, "Pole",df)[0]      # Overwrite existing file     arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True      # Output directory for the pole maps     outDir = r"G:\GEOSPATIAL\Publishing\Pole"      # Set the workspace     arcpy.env.workspace = outDir      # List of map grids     twpList = ['\"TOWNSHIP_C\" = \'D5\' AND \"RANGE_CD\" = \'5\'',\                '\"TOWNSHIP_C\" = \'D6\' AND \"RANGE_CD\" = \'4\'']       i=1     for twpName in twpList:         layer.definitionQuery = twpName          # refresh() after changing the layer def query to 'redefine' the DDP index limits         mxd.dataDrivenPages.refresh()                 # Create temporary layers to work with the Selection         arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(layer, "surveyLyr")         arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(poleLyr, "poleLyr_new")          # Clear the Selection before starting         #arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("surveyLyr", "CLEAR_SELECTION", "")         #print "The selection has been cleared"                  # Select Layer By Location to limit to just maps with data         arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management("surveyLyr", "INTERSECT", "poleLyr_new", "", "NEW_SELECTION")          # refresh() after changing the layer def query to 'redefine' the DDP index limits         mxd.dataDrivenPages.refresh()          mxd.saveACopy(os.path.splitext(mxdDoc) [0] + str(i) + os.path.splitext(mxdDoc)[1])         i += 1                   # The final mapbook name taken from the list         finalPDFfn = outDir + "\\" + twpName [16:18] + twpName [38:39] + "Pole.pdf"                  # Create the final PDF -- which is just an empty shell right now         finalPDF = arcpy.mapping.PDFDocumentCreate(finalPDFfn)          # A temporary pdf file for processing         tmpPDF = outDir + "\\PoleMapPages.pdf"          # Let the user know what is happening!         print "Exporting " + twpName [16:18] + twpName [38:39]                  # Export the data driven pages in the mxd to a temporary PDF         print "Exporting map pages to the temporary PDF"         ddp = mxd.dataDrivenPages.exportToPDF(tmpPDF)          # Append the temporary pdf to the final pdf         # Cover, map pages, back cover         print "Appending Map Pages"         finalPDF.appendPages (r"G:\GEOSPATIAL\Publishing\Pole\PoleCovers\Covers_"\                               + twpName [16:18] + twpName [38:39] + ".pdf")         finalPDF.appendPages(tmpPDF)         finalPDF.appendPages(r"G:\GEOSPATIAL\Publishing\TwpGrid_Color8x11.pdf")          # Set properties for Adobe Reader and save PDF.         finalPDF.updateDocProperties(pdf_open_view = "USE_THUMBS", pdf_layout = "SINGLE_PAGE")         finalPDF.saveAndClose()          # Deleting temporary layers         arcpy.Delete_management("surveyLyr")         arcpy.Delete_management("poleLyr_new")      except Exception as e:     print e.message     print arcpy.GetMessages(2)      # Clean up print "Cleaning up" # Delete the temporary PDF using the ArcPy function if arcpy.Exists(tmpPDF):                  arcpy.Delete_management(tmpPDF)   # Delete objects del mxd, tmpPDF, ddp               # Finished message print "Map compilation completed. Please review the final output."

Outcomes