Select to view content in your preferred language

how does viewshed works or a more detail explanation as in the help ? !

02-11-2013 12:41 PM
PeterMarkus1
Emerging Contributor
Hallo

I´m a student and I write my master thesis for the university, there I use a viewshed consumtion.

For the master thesis I need a explanation for the tool!
Therefor the help is very short
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/na/009z000000v8000000/

- How does viewshed works?
- Is there a more detail explanation as in the help avaiable?

I´m happy about any links and so on ... !

Thanks
Peter
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Before the forum sends you links could you provide a list of links and books that you have looked at?  It will help narrow down basic description articles from more advanced ones and give an idea where your current knowledge level is.
0 Kudos
PeterMarkus1
Emerging Contributor
Thanks Dan Patterson for your response.

My current situation is, that I have made a view analysis over a whole city (Vienna) with 4000 viewshed points from the view of penthouses. Therefore I have middled 4000 building heights of the DEM of Vienna and set an offset viewshed point on it - the result a 0 1 ruster of every vieswshed point was multiplied with a weighting raster (famous buildings, green and so on)

Now I have the results and put it into an GWR to obtain the influence of the view on the quatratmeter price. The GWR is now after half a year OK.

That's the current status!

The only information about the viewshed tool is the link from esri as I had wrote
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...00000v8000000/

But it would be good and look good if I had an explanation of the tool, because the arcgis help explanation is not very good!

I have searched in the web but without a result - because it wasn´t clearly pointed out if arcgis use this or the other algorithms.

Currently I hade no other explanation as the link!

So pleas can you give me some links or papers which explain what algorithms arcgis use for viewshed?

Thanks!
Peter