Configuring ArcGIS 10.1 developer workstation for Linux...

02-11-2013 12:03 PM
BillZborowski
New Contributor
Hi Guys,

I have some general questions on how to install ArcGIS products for a developer workstation and on Linux (Centos 6.3).  Our organization will execute geospatial applications and services using:

ArcGIS Server (java)
  map services
  image services

Custom Geospatial Applications
  SOE (java)
  Python

And, in the future, potential utilizing ArcGIS runtime.

I have installed and configured ArcGIS for Server 10.1 SP1 fairly easily, but I'm not trying to add the arcobjects stuff to Eclipse and can't find the plugin nor the arcobjects.jar anywhere.  How do I get this?  What do I need?

For some reason, the installer scripts work randomly with different products.  For example, I can install Server and runtime perfectly but cannot install the Engine DevKit (which I assume I need to gain access to the arcobjects.jar and the Eclipse plugins).  I get the following error:

./Setup
Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The console mode will be used instead...

=======================================================

Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported

The installer cannot run in this UI mode. To specify the interface mode, use the -i command-line option, followed by the UI mode identifier. The valid UI modes identifiers are GUI, Console, and Silent.

=======================================================

What do I need to develop SOE's on server?  In 931 all this stuff came pre-packaged.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
In 10.0, the ArcObjects Java Developer Kit was a separate install, but on the same media as the Desktop install.  Not sure about 10.1.
0 Kudos
BillZborowski
New Contributor
Yeah, the developer kit is a separate install, however the Linux version won't install on linux.  Somehow, Server and Runtime do....though.

I have the Centos VM running Eclipse, Web Logic, jrockit jdk 1.6_XX, ArcGIS for Server 10.1 SP1, ArcGIS Runtime 10.1.

On my local desktop I have ArcMap 10.1, ArcCatalog 10.1, etc.  I have configured a shared folder such that I can share files between the Linux VM and the Windows desktop such that I can publish mxds to the Linux Server.  What I want is the ability to right my server code (SOE) on the VM but can't get access to either the arcobjects.jar or the eclipse plugins.
0 Kudos