Cannot publish a Map Service without AGS forcing a data upload

01-31-2013 10:43 AM
bradeckrose
New Contributor
I have registered an SDE geodatabase with ArcGIS Server.

I have an MXD that refers to the same geodatabase and so proceed to "share as" in ArcMap

I fixed the "Analyze"-detected problems so all that are left are warnings.

I click publish, spins its gears, until it asks me what data to upload.  WTF, I don't want to upload any data, just publish my flippin' MXD after 3 days of horsing around...

Where in any dialog do you EXPLICITLY connect your MXD to a published datastore?   And if you can't do that, how does it ACTUALLY do it behind the scenes then?  Is it comparing Oracle alias name?   .sde connection file names?

Beyond frustrating.

Brad
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
So have you created a data store to your SDE database or no?  There should be a warning that the layer's data source is not registered and data will be copied to the server.  Open up this warning header and there should be as many warnings as layers, (or whichever layers are unregistered).  Right click on one layer and go to Register data source with server.  This should bring up a window that shows the connection string and a parameter for you to name the data store.  Specify a name and click ok.  If your permissions and Oracle client are set up correctly, it should go through successfully.  Make sure that the arcgis account has read access to the SDE file and your have the 64 bit Oracle client installed on the machine ArcGIS Server is installed on.  Here's some information on data stores.
0 Kudos
bradeckrose
New Contributor
Sorry I was not clear:  I have registered he SDE geodatabase as a datastore with ArcGIS server using the 64 bit client.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
So is there a warning that the data will be copied to the server or no?
0 Kudos
bradeckrose
New Contributor
So is there a warning that the data will be copied to the server or no?

Yes.   And there is no option to not upload.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
If you have ArcGIS Desktop on the same machine as ArcGIS Server (AGS), then you will also need the 32 bit Oracle Client since ArcGIS Desktop is still 32 bit software.  There is ESRI documentation on this scenario in the setup for AGS.  I believe it will not copy the SDE data to the server once the 32 bit client is installed as I ran across this same scenario myself.
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
Brad,

Not sure if it matters in your scenario but if you have multiple versions in SDE any one that used in a MXD your publish as a map service needs to be registered with Server's data store.  I had registered my default version but recently published a service based on a child version created off of default & server wanted to copy the data over until I registered the database again but with a conneection file pointing to the new version.

Another thing to check is if you have joins in the mxd you're trying to publish.  It seems with SDE data, if you have joins Server wants to copy the data local too.  This doesn't happen when published joined data that resides in a file geodatabase just SDE.
0 Kudos
bradeckrose
New Contributor
If you have ArcGIS Desktop on the same machine as ArcGIS Server (AGS), then you will also need the 32 bit Oracle Client since ArcGIS Desktop is still 32 bit software.  There is ESRI documentation on this scenario in the setup for AGS.  I believe it will not copy the SDE data to the server once the 32 bit client is installed as I ran across this same scenario myself.

Originally, the 32-bit Oracle client was installed along with Desktop and Server.   In this case, you cannot register an Oracle SDE datastore with Server, because Server requires the 64-bit client.  Once we got the 64-bit client installed, we were able to register the database with Server.   Now we are trying to publish something, with no success.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Brad:

Do you currently have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Oracle Client installed on your machine?
0 Kudos