Manipulating mpk/gpk/tpk with ArcGIS Runtime WPF

01-23-2013 06:24 AM
Labels (1)
KevinChan
New Contributor
Is there a way work with those package files within Runtime and NOT in arcmap. It seems very inconvenient for where we have to use these packages, especially for geoprocessing.

Also, is there a way to create/add/remove shape files within those packages?

If anyone has any references, please let me know. This seems to be the trickiest part about Runtime IMO.

Thanks and Regards, Kev
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
What do you mean by manipulating a package in the Runtime?

The simplest explanation I can provide is:
Desktop creates the Packages (mpk/tpk/gpk)
Runtime consumes the Packages

The How-to create links at the bottom of this topic might be a good starting point on creating packages if you haven't got that far.
0 Kudos
niroshanshan
New Contributor
I think what the OP is asking is if it is possible to create packages in runtime without Arcmap.

From what I read, it's not possible, but maybe in a future version of the SDK.

Niroshan
0 Kudos
KevinChan
New Contributor
Yes as explained by Niroshan, can I create the pack files on the fly as needed, and add shape files/layers to them as I need? Or do i have to predefined all the packages before hand.

It seems very unreasonable if we have to deploy ArcMap to our clients when they buy our Runtime embedded application.

Regards,
Kev
0 Kudos
GeorgeFaraj
Occasional Contributor III
Indeed, Kev84. I'm also trying to figure out if you can create MPK's using the Runtime SDK.
0 Kudos
JeremieJoalland1
Occasional Contributor II
I'm having the same doubts about data format consumned by ArcgIS Runtime (in my case for Java).
We have to develop an GIS adpter which must respect some Interface contracts, and input data will definitly not be in Package format.
Could someone tell me if it is possible to programmaticcaly convert/create MPF from collection of Shapefiles, as the application is loading ?
Thanks

Jeremie
0 Kudos