Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcSDE Service won't work with PostgreSQL 9.1/PostGIS 2.0

Jump to solution
01-18-2013 02:18 PM
deleted-user-1T_bOHag6M8d
Deactivated User
I've followed the instructions for getting ArcSDE to work with PostgreSQL 9.1 and PostGIS 2.0 and I can make direct connections from ArcMap with no issue. However, I'm unable to view feature classes in the geodatabase through an ArcSDE Service connection.

I've used the Create ArcSDE Connection file tool to create a connection to my server with the service set to 5152. The initial connection is fine, but trying to add any feature classes to ArcMap returns an ArcMap error saying "One or more layers failed to draw. <<Feature Class>>: Function or procedure does not exist [<<Feature Class>>]".

In my PostgreSQL logs I can see the SQL statement that fails. It says "ERROR:  function setsrid(geometry, integer) does not exist at character 19". My understanding is the setsrid function in PostGIS was renamed to st_setsrid in version 2.0. The direct connection does not give this error, likely due to the updated client libraries at SP1.

Is there a way for me to provide the updated client libraries for the ArcSDE Service?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Deactivated User
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
While geodatabase upgrades happen from the Desktop client, you still need to
apply the service pack to the application server install before those binaries
are updated (and re-copy the revised ST_GEOMETRY library as well).

- V
0 Kudos
Deactivated User
While geodatabase upgrades happen from the Desktop client, you still need to
apply the service pack to the application server install before those binaries
are updated (and re-copy the revised ST_GEOMETRY library as well).

- V

Is there a separate service pack for ArcSDE? I've installed ArcGIS Server with SP1 and the service pack for License Manager. Now the only item in Patchfinder on my server without a service pack is ArcSDE.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Yes, there are dozens of different ArcSDE service packs (apply the one appropriate
to your platform/release).

- V
0 Kudos
Deactivated User
Yes, there are dozens of different ArcSDE service packs (apply the one appropriate
to your platform/release).

- V

Beg your pardon, Vince. I don't see where there is an ArcSDE service pack for 10.1. I only see 10.1 service packs for ArcGIS Desktop, Engine and Server and I've already installed all of those. Can you assist me with finding the correct service pack?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Deactivated User
Nicholas,

Here is a link to download the ArcSDE 10.1 SP1:

http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/1914

Regards,
0 Kudos
Deactivated User
Nicholas,

Here is a link to download the ArcSDE 10.1 SP1:

http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/1914

Regards,

Thanks, Asrujit and Vince. I installed ArcSDE SP1 and I also performed the ST_Geometry upgrade using the instructions Vince provided. Looks like everything is working now.
0 Kudos