Arcpy in other Python modules such as Ipython

01-17-2013 02:12 AM
LeticiaNascimento
New Contributor
Hello!

I was using ipython on my Ubuntu OS back at my home and it was fantastic . When you work with an object, and you putted  "object." and then pressed Tab, it would show you all the classes that you had option to use. Also, you could put the arrow up and it would go back to the lines you have written before.

In my work, I'm learning to use python in ArcGIS 10.1 and found it very difficult without the resources I was used to.
I installed Pythonwin hoping it would solve my problems, but without seeing all the classes options I have, it became sort of difficult to learn by doing and I have to search through many tutorials.

Does anyone else feels the same way? Does anyone knows where could I get the same resources as I had in Ipython? I installed an Ipython but it doen't recognize arcpy.

Thank you!

Letícia
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ArkadiuszMatoszka
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,
I'm using eclipse with installed pyDev, and can recommend this solution. Maybe it does'n have all features ipython has, but code completion works fine with arcpy, and it had a lot of customization options.
Regards
Arek
0 Kudos
LeticiaNascimento
New Contributor
Hello, Arek

Thank you so much for your answer ;). I have one question, did you just installed PyDev and it recognized arcpy or you had to do something else?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
MelanieMaguire
New Contributor III
Code completion for ArcPy should also work for you in PythonWin and IPython.  If code completion is not working, you probably just just need to import arcpy to the interactive window.  After you do that, try code completion again and it should work.  You will need to import arcpy to the interactive window at the start of every Python session where you want the tab completion to work for the arcpy module.
0 Kudos