Publish service without copying data on Linux

Jump to solution
12-11-2012 02:17 PM
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
We have AGS 10.1 running on Linux. I have a shapefile on a Linux file share that I want a Map Service to reference (I do not want the data copied to the GIS Server machine). How do I do this?

The GIS Server machine can read the data (I registered the folder to the 'Data Store' with it's Linux file path). When I author a Map Document, I need to put in the windows samba mount file path (because you can only author a map on Windows). When I go to publish, the 'analyze' tells me the data source is not registered and will be copied. I cannot register the Samba mount in the 'Data Store' because the Linux GIS Server can only read Linux file paths. If I manually edit the file path in the .mxd to it's Linux version, then try to publish, the 'analyze' tells me I have an error because of the broken file path because Windows cannot read a Linux file path. Please help....
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
What you'll want to do is uncheck the option that the publisher's path is the same as the server folder path and enter the Linux path for the Server Folder Path.  This will allow ArcMap to use the Windows path, but Server to use the Linux path.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
What you'll want to do is uncheck the option that the publisher's path is the same as the server folder path and enter the Linux path for the Server Folder Path.  This will allow ArcMap to use the Windows path, but Server to use the Linux path.
0 Kudos
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the help and clarification on this. That solved the problem. So, when the 'Data Store' asks for the 'Publisher folder path', it wants the file path the Map Document(.mxd) is using - which will always be a Windows path because you can only author a Map Document on Windows. When the 'Data Store' asks for the 'Server folder path', it wants the path that the Server needs to use to read the data. This could be Windows or Linux.

Sorry to say that the documentation on registering a folder is not very clear. The word 'Publisher' is a poor choice. Publisher of what? Now, I know it means 'Service' publisher. But I was thinking it meant 'data' publisher (which would have been my Linux file share).
0 Kudos