How to Start a new Pythonwin

12-05-2012 05:36 AM
RoyDaniel
New Contributor
Hi all..:)

Does any one know how to start a new Pythonwin window, If I see from the start menu and then go to Python2.5 there are only as following:
- IDLE (Python GUI)
- Module Docs
- Python (command line)
and Python manuals
Hence until now I haven't found yet any Pythonwin button..

Thank you for any help

Best Regards,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Roy,

If PythonWin is installed (it is not by default with the ArcGIS 9.3 or 9.3.1 you appear to be using) its executable would be in C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\Pythonwin.exe

Simply create a shortcut for the executable, and place on the All Users or Public Desktop or Start Menu (depending on an XP or Vista/Win7 OS).

If not installed, the current builds of PyWin32 are available on SoruceForge here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/Build%20218/  I would no longer use the version included with the ArcGIS Desktop installation media set.

Since you are on Python25 be sure to get the pywin32-218.win32-py2.5.exe installer.

Stuart
0 Kudos
RoyDaniel
New Contributor
Thank you very much Stuart..:)
0 Kudos
RoyDaniel
New Contributor
Hi Stewart one question again, is that okey If "pywin32-218.win32-py2.5" to run in my windows 7 64 bit operating system ? or do we have py2.5 for 64 bit

Thanks a lot again..

Best Regards,
Roy
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Roy,

Use of 32-bit Python25 is built in to ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.x arcgisscripting library.  It will run without issue under WOW6432 emulation on 64-bit OS.

You could install a 64-bit Python as well, but ArcGIS would not use it.  Also, I don't believe the 218 build of PyWin32 for Python25 has a 64-bit flavor.
Since ArcGIS won't use it you could load a more current Python for 64-bit use if you go that route.

Just be aware, it can be a PITA to reconfigure between Python versions depending on your programming and sysadmin needs. 

Stuart
0 Kudos
RoyDaniel
New Contributor
Okey.. I understand Stuart.. I will try as your explain.. and of course this is very valuable..
Thanks again for your help

Cheers..:)
Roy
0 Kudos