Cryptic arcpy.da.Editor error

11-30-2012 06:12 AM
DanNarsavage
Occasional Contributor
I run this code (in a try/except statement and amongst much more):

arcpy.ClearWorkspaceCache_management()
    print "1"
    SdeVersion = ProductionDatabase(VersionName)
    print "2"
    SdeFishboneFC = SdeVersion.Fishbone()
    print "3"
    SdeAddressPointFC = SdeVersion.AddressPoint()
    print "4"
    AddressPointLayer = AddressPointLayer + "_versioned"
    print "5"
    FishboneLayer = "Fishbones_versioned"
    print "6"
    arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(SdeAddressPointFC, AddressPointLayer)
    print "7"
    arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(SdeFishboneFC, FishboneLayer)
    print "8"
    print SdeVersion.Path()
    edit = arcpy.da.Editor(SdeVersion.Path())  # Create an edit session.
    print "9"
    edit.startEditing(False, True)    # Start the edit session
    print "10"
    edit.startOperation()       # Start an edit operation
    print "11"

And I get this output:

C:\temp\scratchfolder1\Basemap_QcAddress_Fishbone.sde
ERROR: FATAL ERROR: Error during post analysis processing: error return without
exception set
FATAL ERROR: Error during post analysis processing: error return without excepti
on set
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "R:\DanN\Automation\Development\CountywideFishboneAnalysis.py", line 216,
 in <module>
    raise inst
SystemError: error return without exception set

My custom class [SdeVersion = ProductionDatabase(VersionName)] uses arcpy.CreateDatabaseConnection_management() and returns a functioning connection file (as tested manually in ArcCatalog after the script errors out).  Line 216 (cited in the error message) is the "raise" statement in my try/except block.  Am I utilizing arcpy.da.Editor incorrectly?  Is this "without exception set" thing a bug in the data access module itself?  Is 9AM too early for a beer?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanNarsavage
Occasional Contributor
An interesting twist to this story is that shortly after the above error started happening, ArcMap started crashing whenever I try to start editing (regardless of the workspace or type of workspace).  Lovely.  I've restarted & even reinstalled, and now I wish I could retire.  I'll be logging a service call here in not too long . . .
0 Kudos
JamesGraham
New Contributor III
Dan,

If you haven't retired, I'd be interested to know how you resolved this issue (if at all).

Thanks,
James

An interesting twist to this story is that shortly after the above error started happening, ArcMap started crashing whenever I try to start editing (regardless of the workspace or type of workspace).  Lovely.  I've restarted & even reinstalled, and now I wish I could retire.  I'll be logging a service call here in not too long . . .
0 Kudos
DanNarsavage
Occasional Contributor
Wow, I had to dig a little for this one.  Sorry I never posted anything answering this question.

I contacted ESRI support, and we winnowed it down to a problem only with SDE connections.  I was in the process of doing more testing when things began working all on their own.  From the best we could tell, the only thing that changed was that I uninstalled a .NET add-in that I'd created a couple years earlier.  We decided to blame the arcpy problem on some unspecified .NET code that was not entirely compatible with the most recent ArcThis or ArcThat, and we closed the support call at that point.

Hope that helps!
Dan
0 Kudos
JamesGraham
New Contributor III
Rats.  I'm having a completely different issue (I think), but I truly appreciate your speedy reply, Dan.  I'll post a new (but related) question to the forums shortly.

Posted question about the same error here:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/101241-Problem-committing-edits-with-arcpy.da.updatecursor

Thanks again,
James
0 Kudos