Multiple Machine deployment & SSL certificates

11-28-2012 01:05 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
ESRI documentation indicates for multi-machine deployment a SSL certificate is required for each machine.  Is this inferring that the certificate needs to be unique or can you get away with the generic or wildcard trusted certificate?

For example, if my web adaptor/gis servers have are called giserver1.mydomain gisserver2.mydomain, gisserver3.mydomain, can i use just a certificate issued against gisserver.mydomain?

Brad

Brad
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TrentLedeboer
New Contributor II
Currently you will need to generate a new SSL certificate for each machine participating in the site. 
There has been a bug submitted to address this issue so that you can take an existing certificate and use it with all your ArcGIS Server machines.  Here is the bug number so you can track it for future reference:

NIM083738  Provide an option to re-use or import an existing CA signed server certificate/keypair to ArcGIS Server keystore without generating a CSR with Admin API.

Trent
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Trent,

Thanks for the info however while you indicate their is a bug, this doesn't align with the documentation such that it indicates a new certificate is required for each (i.e. i would say this is by design); hence is this a product enhancement or a bug?

Brad
0 Kudos