create annotations from label at multi scale

11-21-2012 10:54 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

I am actually trying ArcGIS 10 Desktop for my organization in order to evaluate the benefits to migrate to ESRI's technology in a near future. Actually, we are using MapInfo and FME. One of our main interest in ArcGIS is the possibility to use MAPLEX for automatic label positioning.

My question is the following: is it possible to create annotations from labels in a single feature class at multiple scale using MAPLEX? Im working with Data Driven Page and I want to place some labels manually. The tool tiled labels annotation can only receive polygone in input but I need to create annotations on points feature class.

Any suggestion? Is there a solution with Python?

Thank you

Maxime Demers
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Maxime,

The input polygons are only used to set the bounds for each tile. You can use the Map Server Cache Tiling Scheme to Polygons tool to create them:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Map_Server_Cache_Tiling_Scheme_To_Polygons/007000000...

Then you can use model builder or python to set the output of this tool as the polygon input for the Tiled Labels to Annotation tool.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos