Hyperlinking -- Combining Two Fields

11-14-2012 01:55 PM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

Recently I attended one of ESRI's seminars about transforming your organization. In that presentation, the live demo introduced a way to use a hyperlink combined with another field to generate a very quick way of viewing data. For example, I have parcel data with the parcel ID associated with each feature in my table. I know the County website and search parameters to follow in order to find the data associated with each parcel ID. See below:

My Field: {ParcelID}

What I would like to do is combine the two together and have the parcel field to containing the link associated with the parcel ID. So when everything is said and done, the individual will click on the parcel and see the pop-up window come up and then just click the parcel ID number from the parcel ID field to open the assessor's website to see the information for that particular parcel. I just cannot remember for the life of me how they did it when I was at the seminar. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jarom
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SarahO_Rourke1
New Contributor III
Hello,

I'm not sure how you would do this online, in arcmap it would be pretty easy to create a new link field and combine the url and parcel id number there.

I think for the user to click the parcel id and be directed to the website you would have to edit your popup using the custom attribute option. This will allow you to control which fields are displayed and you can hyperlink peices of text but I haven't used it enough to know if you can combine multiple fields. I do know that if you add an image to the popup you can create a link from that image that can contain multiple fields. For example you could add a gerneric image for the county and when the user clicks on it they can be directed to http://assessors.whatever.com/query/parcel_ID={ParcelID}

Hope this helps jog your memory

Sarah
0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III
I finally remembered and yes, it is through the custom attribute option. What I ended up doing was creating a field that contains the base of the URL and then used the custom attribute option to combine the two fields.
0 Kudos